Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doctors and their stupid percentiles

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:48 PM
  • 44 Replies

Ok I know already posted something in this group earlier today, but I love posting in this group because I seem to get the most replies :) Anyways, last Friday I took my son in for his 9 month check up. Well he weighs 17 lbs and he's 27 inches, which is small I know. His doctor basically told me I need to make him eat more. He eats 3 meals and has a couple snacks throughout the day, and he breastfeeds atleast 5 times during the day. He eats when he's hungry and when he's done he lets me know. I'm not going to force feed my child just so she can feel better about what percentile he's in, which right now he's in the tenth. He's perfectly healthy and being small runs in my family. I was just wondering if any other moms w/small babies have experienced this? And for moms with bigger babies, like in the 90s percentile, are the docs happy with your childs weight? Does anyone else disagree with the way they use their stupid charts?

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:52 PM
Reagan is 6 months is 17lbs 9oz. and 27 1/2 inces long. That puts her in the 90th percentile and the doctor seemed to be pleased with that. Let her know that he is content with what he eats. If he's obviously not starving I don't see the point of shoving food down his throat. That's not necessary.
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:54 PM
I get it from my doc about my youngest she all of about 30# and now probably 40" tall and he tells me her weight is low to her height...Which I'm not worried about cuz she eats all the damn time, is active, healthy and has Aunts on her dad's side that probably wears a size 0/2 in pants and thats after having 3 kids of their own.  So if being small runs in the family I would not personally worry unless something drastically changes IE: not eating as good, etc...
Hope this helps..   
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:55 PM
My son is 4 and is off the chart for height and weight for his age.  He's not fat but he weighs 45 lbs.  The doctor only said something to me once but now they say he's fine.  I don't really believe in their charts, I believe it has a lot to do with family history also. 

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:57 PM
oh my ..they drive me crazy like when Chantel was 2 was weighed like 30 lbs and the lady at the wic office told me she was in the 85th percentile to be obese...i just blew it know if youre kid is healthy..dont worry about it

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:58 PM
I like the charts because it gives you an "idea" of where the kids should be, but I don't think it should be the word of "god". My daughter is almost 16 months and only weights 18lbs 1 ounce (as of 2 weeks ago). My doctor was a little concerned, but didn't get too crazy about it. we talked about her diet and he said she sounds like she's doing fine, she's just really really active. He also said her growth curve looks fine, she's just always been small as far as weight goes. Her height is totally normal. We did have to make another appointment in 6 weeks to make sure she's gaining at least a little.

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:58 PM
My daughter will be 10 months tomorrow and she weighs 17 lbs and is 28 inches long. The doc told me she was in the 4 percentile But she also said that she just might be so small because of the simple fact that she is long. I think my baby is healthy she eats regularly and goes to the bathroom regularly so there is nothing more I can do about her weight. So to answer to question I do agree with you.
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:59 PM
My daughter is almost nine months, and she has about the same stats as your son, now she was five weeks early, so up till now they havn't given me a hard time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they told me the same thing this time, we'll see!

I'm Loving this Baby Girl!

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:59 PM
My 4 child was small.  He was always small and when he was 9mos he was in the negative 15%.  My dr wasn't too concerned because it was a pattern for him.  He was growing steadlily, he was just small.  So I was wondering, did your son just stop gaining weight or has he always been in the 10% for weight? That could be his cause for concern.

My son is still small at 7, the shortest in his class, it doesn't bother him in the slightest.
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 3:01 PM
yes i alwyas  thought those were  dumb  my middle daughter  they always said  on the  bad  line? she was  healthy  she  just wasnt tall?  she ate  more than any baby i ever  knew! whatever! shes  now 4 and  taller  than most kids  her age and weighs  right around. i never  care what those  stupid charts said

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 3:02 PM
At my son's 1 year well baby visit he weighed 17 lbs. He had been sick the previous week and wasn't really eating. So I had to bring him back 1 month later to check his weight and if it hadn't improved they would start running tests. i was so freaked that on the way home I bought a new digital scale & preceeded to weigh him everyday. He gained a little bit. Well, he is due to go to his 18 month well baby visit & he currently weighs maybe 22lbs and is 31" tall. He's small but so is my dad, so is my grandmother, so was my great grandmother, so am I. I absolutely hate going to the doctor.

Fake n Fancy Diaper Cakes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)