Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shingles

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:05 PM
  • 14 Replies
I don't know if there have been any posts about shingles but I have some questions. My grandma thinks she has it and I am 51/2 months pregnant. IF I was to get it, what would happen? Would it hurt the baby or anything?

Also, what would it look like? Could it just be like an itchy rash at first?
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:06 PM
I don't think it's contagious. My aunt just had that & apparently the older you are the more at risk you are for getting it.

Fake n Fancy Diaper Cakes
CJnSA2006
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:09 PM
I've looked it up and it says it is contagious to people who have had chickenpox so I don't know.
ceciliam
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:11 PM

HHMMMM....I'm not sure.....be careful
Fake n Fancy Diaper Cakes
sexything
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:12 PM
shingles is not contages  people get it some times if they have expsed to chicken pox and have aleady had them if u dont have them i wouldnt worry but to be on the safe side i would galll ur doctor
sexything
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:14 PM
i have had shingles
kristilnop
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:15 PM
I work in a nursing home and when I was pregnant 3 people had them, I was not allowed to have any contact with them as long as the shingles were exposed.  I was told by several nurses that if I were to get shingles then it causes birth defects in the baby.  Personally I would reccommend not having physical contact with your grandmother for a little while until you know they are going away.  Thats just my reccommendation though.  Good luck!!
Chile
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:16 PM
They say if your pregnant, or elderly or have a low immune system, or a child who has not been vacinated for the chicken pox virus, do not go around someone who has it. Shingles is a result of serious stress, and is contagious, to those people above and people who have had chicken pox because the virus is still dorment in thier bodies eventhough they were treated for it when they had it. Children who haven't had chicken pox can get it from someone who has shingles. It is extremeley painful, my mother just had it and my son and I have low immune systems and she was told she could not come visit until she had been treated and the medication has run its course. So if she has had the medicine in her system for awhile then you should be fine. But honestly you should wait until she is over it , and if your still not sure ask your doctor. Hope I Helped.
sarlene1886
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:18 PM
what are shingles?

Lolly400
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Shingles is very contagious!  Stay away. sHINGLES IS THE SAME VIRUS AS  the CHICKEN pox virus which can cause deformities, deafness and other problems in pregnancy.  I am a teacher and if a child has chicken pox or shingles they must stay out of school for several weeks until they are deemed not contagious by a doctor.  Pregnant teachers are removed from the school or classroom should a child have either.  I had shingles a few years back. I was put on masses doses OF ANTIVIRAL medicine and it got worse before it got better.  left untreated shingles affects the nervous system.  My older son who was grown never had chicken pox and he was told by the doctor to stay away until I was no longercontagious.  Your grandmother NEEDS to be on an antiviral OR PERSCRIBED  SOMETHING because as I said it could cause her to have damage to her nervous system.  My mother HAD IT AND DIDN'T go into the doctors when she had her rash and left it untreated and she had joint paint and could barely walk after  that. It is extrememly painful.  if YOU WERE EXPOSED  then YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR TOO for consultation.  i WAS TOLD THAT CHICKENPOX LAYS DORMANT in your spine but never goes away and can be reinfected in some people and return as shingles.  PLEASE CHECK IT OUT ASAP.  Good luck.Lolly

welderswife1
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:21 PM
yes it is contagious I worked in a nursing home to and we had to where gloves and capes,also did all the person's wash by it's self so be carefull it be best to call your dr. about this matter
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)