Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ants!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

We're having a major ant problem in my house here in South Florida...is it safe to call the exterminator with a baby in the house??

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4ever
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:27 PM
I think so as long as you tell them you have a small child so they can be extra careful and cautios on the types of chemicals they use. But I heard that if you pour salt (regulal table salt) around your house they won't cross the line. I don't know if that is true I have never done it but it's a thought
Twinkie76
Yes, I have terminix and they use this special liquid substance that goes along the baseboards. The ants crawl over it and take it back to the nest and die. It takes a little while but all the ants were gone and it was safe as soon as it dried. Good Luck!

mamadaycare
Wouldn't hurt to call and find out what chemicals they use, if they are safe to use around children.  I used to work in a restaurant and they sprayed every year, so I am sure they should have something safe to use.

shortla2374
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:28 PM
I think that they recommend being out of the house for 2-4 hours, but I would ask the exterminator when you call. 
Aasiyah
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:29 PM
I would guess that i you had to call an exterminator than you would have to leave with the baby for the amount of hours they tell you and then clean up before bringing the baby back.

I thought i heard vineger kills them.. try looking for a home made solution online beside exterminators.

In Haiti.. the caretaker of our house.. uses gasoline. LOL LOL LOL.. she basically puts some on a rag and goes around wiping them dead.  Then she mops up.  I'm not sure how safe this is either but it's effective. LOL LOLLOL.

Please let me know what solution you come up with.
SVSASHER
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:30 PM
I'd call but I think it would be safe after 24 hours.
motherof5girls
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:32 PM
yes when i lived w/my mother and even now they have a special spray that is safe to be around kids now. also i heard that vinerager works too. i had aunts really bad too and i just kept spraying raid they finnaly went away. but anywho when you wipe off your counters w/vinerager cause something in the vinager they don't like so they will stay away. i hate bugs aunts,spiders and soo on i am glad mine are gone.
hazeleyesmom
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:39 PM
I hate the smell of chemicals and get sick when i smell it. We had an ant problem when we lived in virginia. i took a spray bottle and filled it with water and dish soap. sprayed it around the base boards of the whole house. Then i took it outside and sprayed around the perimeter of the house. it didn't keep some of them out completly, but it reduced the number drastically.
They also make this stuff it's a sticky sugar water. they eat it and then take it back. you have to keep your kids away from it or put it in a place they can't reach (under a couch) it's really gross for a while b/c all these ants flock to it and just sit there. but it kills them b/c they eat it and then take it back to the nest and kills the rest of them. those two things worked for me the best.

jiminycrickets
by on Aug. 2, 2007 at 2:59 AM
We have ant problems here in south TX. as well. This is for sugar ants not fire ants. A long time ago before I new how dangerous the pesticides were I wasted money having someone come out to spray. Then someone told me a recipe that actually works and it is confined in one area so no need to worry about your little one crawling around and touching poison.
        use a small lid like from yogurt top to mix...
             1 part boric acid (found at drug store) this is a poison so be careful.
              1 part corn starch

1 part powder sugar
              2 parts water-stir well and leave mixture near where ants are coming in UP AND OUT OF CHILDS REACH.
 The ants will take the sticky bait back to their dwelling and they die.
jkctmom
by on Aug. 2, 2007 at 3:18 AM
What worked for a friend of mine was simple... Splenda. Since it's not real sugar, and it has that chemical in it (that my spaced-out mind can't think of at the moment I'm trying to talk about it-lol) that will kill ants (also not good for people, but with diabetes-it's better than nothing). Get some damp and put it (outside or in, but wherever they are coming from works best) and let them have it. They will come back, looking for more. Give it. They will keep coming for it. When they've started to eat it, it will actually fry their "brain cells" and you won't see them again. This is what my friend said, she had a HUGE problem with ants, including carpenter ants. Nothing worked until she tried this. Good luck... whatever you decide.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)