Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gallbladder

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:58 PM
  • 20 Replies
Hello, I have been having really bad pains. at one point we thought gas. well sunday I went to the ER, and she told me I have gallstones. and need to have surgery A.S.A.P, I met with the surgeon today, and I go in next thursday.wow
has anyone had gallstones? how was the surgery?
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy3b1g
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:08 AM
I had gallstone attacks the entire time throughout all of my pregnancies and even a few months afterward. I never had the surgery because the negative effect was worse than having to deal with the pains. When they take your gallbladder out you will have to stay close to a bathroom when you eat. Also I know that a gallbladder attack is so excrutiating but double check your history. Odds are if you have just started getting them double think the surgery. Let me know what you decide. Also I looked into it pretty deep so let me know if you have any questions.
wldnmommie
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:08 AM
yes i had gallstones when i was pregnant.I thought there was something wrong with my son.And found out i had gall stones. When my baby was 6 or 7 wks old. They did it with a procedure called laproscoptic surgery.They blow up your tummy,cut 3 small places on your tummy and go through your belly button. They take it out with a laser thing and pull it out through your belly button.I stayed overnight one night. they put these bandaids on your tummy;no stitches.it takes a few days for you to feel better.No having to stay in bed for days to recover.UNless for some reason you have complications.
Abbysmom227
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:10 AM
I also had them. I had surgery and it was just fine. For me it was outpatient which means I had the surgery then went home to recover. Trust me it is worth the surgery to get rid of the pain. You will be just fine!

momof1inmich
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:11 AM
I had gallstones back in 99". I went to the ER and a few weeks later had to have the gallbladder out. It was a in-out surgery for me. I had pain and discomfort the first week the second week I just had to take it easy.Just remember you have to watch what you eat afterwards. For me greasy or foods that are a little spicey upset my stomach. Good Luck and keep me posted.

brighteyesmom
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:13 AM

I NEVER HAVE HAD THEM BUT I DO WISH YOU LUCK WITH YOUR SURGERY. I KNOW ALL WILL GO WELL.

You know I wont let me let you down

janeycherry
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:40 AM
I had gallbladder surgery about a year and half ago. The surgery was outpatient and I was in and out.They told me there would no pain were they wrong. I couldn't lift anything or get up will fast for 3 days. I had to keep a small pillow on my stomach when I was drived to places. Oh yeah you may not be able to drive for awhile either. I also was very nasueau(sp?) and had to take Phengran for about a week. I also had to be careful with greasy foods b/c they tending to go right through me(sorry TMI). I was given a 800 mg script of Ibroprin(sp?) and that sure helped. As far as the surgery it was just like the other woman described even about the belly button.

sherdare
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:45 AM
I had gullstones the whole time I was pregnant with my 3rd child. 6 weeks later I went to the hospital and had them removed. It was as they say. Only i have 4 small scars on my stomache and don't worry they WILL fade with time. You can barely see mine. As far as staying close to the bathroom. Yeah, you can if you want to and yeah after I eat foods I normally wouldn't eat on a regular basis I have to hit the bathroom but Immodium works great. Take it just before you eat. If your on a trip or out with friends take them with you. No staying close to a bathroom that way. And the best thing is "NO MORE PAIN!!!" It's worth it.  And the surgery isn't bad at all. I came home the same day and the next day wanted to go shopping but know one would let me. But the day after that I went to a store with the neighbor and was a little sorer so take your time and don't push it. Lots of Luck

http://www.cafemom.com/group/lossofachild

A place for people who have lost a family member. Poetry contest will start start as soon as there is enough people. Date group started July 25, 2007

jel_e_been
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:45 AM
I had to have mine taken out 4 week after my son was born last year. Then 4 weeks after my gallbladder was taken out, I had to have my appendix taken out too. lol..Soo..I had a baby in May..gallbladder taken out in June, and appendix taken out in July. lol I had a busy year. lol But I felt soooo much better after the surgery. It was an out patient surgery for me. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

jel_e_been
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:49 AM
OO P.S.  It must be different for everyone, everyone is talking about staying close to a bathroom afterwards. I didn't have too..I went right back to eating normally and I never had any problems. But I don't know..I'm a weird one anyway. lol

tinysmommy
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:50 AM
I had a gallbladder attack when my daughter was 5 months old. When mine started I thought it was just indigestion....boy was I ever wrong!! I was on a trip with my mother and daughter about 6 hours from home and during the drive home I kept getting sicker and hurting alot worse....needless to say I finally made it to Bristol, TN to the ER where they informed me after an ultrasound that I was having a gallbladder attack! My surgery was supposed to be the following morning but they were unable to do it because a gallstone had gotten out which caused some problems with my pancreas but once they got that straightened out they did the surgery....don't worry the surgery isn't too bad and from what I can remember waiting to go in for the surgery was much longer than the actual surgery! Expect to be very sore for a few weeks though! Oh you won't be able to lift anything for a while either so you will need some help especially if you have small children. Like I said my daughter was 5 months old and I wasn't allowed to pick her up....I could hold her only if someone else picked her up and handed her to me! Good luck with your surgery and I do hope this will help you some.

Lisa
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)