Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dimetapp for a 2 1/2 year old??

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2008 at 9:42 AM
  • 11 Replies

Or Benedryl..my little man has a runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing and some coughing...the nurse at our after hours ped clinic said she can't recommend any cold meds for anyone under the age of 4. But mom used to give it to us and I don't feel where as long as you don't OD them, they will be fine. But my question is, how much should I give them...have you ever given your LO cold meds...he's just so uncomfortable and on top of that he has a toothache...

by on Oct. 27, 2008 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2008 at 9:44 AM

I don't give my almost 3 year old any cold medicine.  It hypes her up...BEFORE it makes her drowsy.   I usually just stick with some Tylenol and Vicks Vapor Rub.  It really helps her..

jaycee1124
by on Oct. 27, 2008 at 9:44 AM

I wouldn't give it...studies are showing that not only does it not do them any good but the risks are too high.

You could try something homeopathic. I know that hylands makes a cold remedy but we havn't used it. We stick with the "hot steamy bathroom, little colds rub, humidifier and menthol plug-in" routine for Roo...and ourselves.

TifGraham
by on Oct. 27, 2008 at 9:46 AM

when we had to give my 2 1/2 year old dimetapp we were told to give her 1/2 teaspoon...I hope this helps...by the way we were told to give it to her by the dr.

momto3infl
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2008 at 9:49 AM

My ped has no problem and has told us to use Benydral on out kids as young as 2yrs of age.  Our youngest is now 4-but when we needed to we gave it to them per drs orders with the dosage.

snoopy21276
by on Oct. 27, 2008 at 9:50 AM

i have in the past given the cold stuff for my kids... and think it helps.. and still do My kids are 3 and a half and 4 and a half.. I take and give basicaly a half dosage.. just what i find will help enough to get the cough under control.. it is your child and i am sure you know is best! Hope he feels better soon!

2Kids2Luv4ever
by on Oct. 27, 2008 at 9:50 AM

My DD has a prescription in her diaper bag right now for Ceron DM drops (generic name is C-Phen) it is an antihistamine (watery eyes, sneezing) decongestant (runny nose) and antitussive (cough_ that is LABELED for children 6-24 mths. I feel that if my child needs a med like this, I prefer her to have this. Bc is is formulate for younger babies..not trying to adjust a medicine formulated for older kids. Call and ask them about it.

momoftwins96
by on Oct. 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Quoting jaycee1124:

I wouldn't give it...studies are showing that not only does it not do them any good but the risks are too high.

You could try something homeopathic. I know that hylands makes a cold remedy but we havn't used it. We stick with the "hot steamy bathroom, little colds rub, humidifier and menthol plug-in" routine for Roo...and ourselves.

Before these NEW studies came out I always gave my 3 and 4 year olds cold medicine..and it helped. I really dont understand how they can say it doesnt help. Are they any different than us when we have a cold? A friend of mine that is a nurse told me that they are now saying it doesnt work because too many parents have over dosed their kids. If it were me I would give him something but just be sure that you give the right dosage..

KirstenAna
by on Oct. 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Actually they have recently come out and said that cold meds really do not do anything.  If he has a toothache I would give him some Tylenol for the pain but I would let the cold just run it's course.  Lots of liquids and maybe some decaf tea (warm, not hot)  If you think it is allergies than that is a different story just make sure you get a benadryl meant for little ones (I know that seems obvious, but you'd be surprised!!)

Jademom07
by on Oct. 27, 2008 at 9:57 AM

IMO they do help and dd is 17 months.  I do, however, always call the dr or pharmacist for the correct dosage and do not give her anything else except tylenol or motrin so I don't OD her.  She gets 0.8 ml and is 22 lbs.

sylviessweeties
by on Oct. 27, 2008 at 10:00 AM

They are now saying childrens panadol causes asthma with no real proof.  Well i needed childrens panadol as a kid as I was always getting severe migranes and vomiting it helped and Im not asthmatic. Adults can have cold and flu medicines bit unfair on the kiddos to want to take everything meant for children though. Doctor recommended dymatap for Lilike for a cold and it worked but not for Anjeni as she had a sinus infection not just a cold.  I put saline drops in her nose and booger suctioned her to clean her out and she needed antibiotics. Locke was put on benadryl said for 2 and up and it worked on the cough for him but he really needed antibiotics for he had a sinus infection to. so we got him put on them

[video type="youtube" id="7ZuXCtO19pA"]

Matthew 6:26 Christ pointed his disciples to the flowers of the field, growing in rich profusuion and glowing in the simple beauty which the Heavenly Father had given them. As an expression of his love to man. He said, "Consider the lillies of the field, how they grow" The beauty and the simplicity of these natural flowers far outrival the splendour of solomon. The most gorgeous attire produced by the skill of art cannot bear comparison with the natural grace and radiant beauty of the flowers of Gods's creation.

[video type="youtube" id="9mQIOTIQa6k"]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)