Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My Kid Smells Like Maple Syrup?!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 12:51 AM
  • 16 Replies

OK, so we noticed the past couple days that my son smells like maple syrup.. its strange and I can't figure out why.  We don't even have maple syrup in the house.  I looked it up and there was something called Maple Syrup Urine Disease (MSUD) but it was saying that you would know your child had that with in the first couple days of life, and my son is 2 and a half years old.  My husband said that when he was little, his mom told him that he always smelled of maple syrup, like his urine an sweat, an that when he has kids he needed to tell the doctor that, but he always thought it was his mom being crazy (she really is a skitzo).

Anyone know why my toddler would smell like maple syrup?

by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ebbierowe
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 12:53 AM

nope...but now that i think about it.....my little one did a few times when he was younger...I would tell a doc though...

american flag ribbon 
Kisser of Boo-Boos, Maker of Cupcakes, Planner of Parties, Chauffer of Child Stars, Giver of Hugs, Defender of Sweet Dreams and the completely exhausted Mommy of Asia and Roman

Tummy Trouble??? http://www.cafemom.com/group/85015

listening to tunes           baseball
Asia Briana             Roman Anthony
8-1-97                        6-27-01

SerenaRose3
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 12:54 AM

i have heard of somthing like that but i thought it was just babies , i would call dr about it.

mommyof3blinkie.gif proud mommy of 3 image by ILuvBobbyNXander
1rn
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 12:57 AM
My first thought is diabetes.Sometimes those that are diabetic will have a sweet smell to them or a acetone like smell... I would run him to the Dr just to make sure and to r/o Diabetes..Has he lost any weight recently , having the sweats or loss or appetite. Google it For more symptoms..
2boymama
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 1:00 AM

we went thru a phase that lasted a few weeks of everyone saying thatmy baby smelled like maple syrup..he's been tested for everything under the sun though and while he is anemic that has nothing to do with it..we were never able to get an explanation..maybe we just have very sweet kids..lol  :)

I_never_regret
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Hm I dont know what to tell you.. My kid smells like Cookies Like his breath But he's only 3 months and yeah.

Punkin6498
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Has his thirst increased? My dad is diabetic and he smells....."fruity" I guess, when his sugar is off. It's a real sweet smell, and he acts strange, almost like a person that's been drinking, but not drunk yet, but having a good time and feeling it!

I would call his Dr. ASAP, if it is a blood sugar thing it could be deadly if not dealt with, I don't want to alarm you, so I'm sorry if I do, but it is a very very serious thing if it is blood sugar!

melimommy
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 1:11 AM

I noticed that my one year old smelled like that once  when he woke up in the morning and I he had a really wet diaper. I  has happened a couple of times. If it is a chronic thing though I would have him checked out.

satin69
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 8:26 AM

this isnt going to be the most educated sounding post i ever make but i have noticed that same smell with a lot of children in my care...i have always chalked it up to being the chemistry of their bodies...its usually in the morning...

mrsreed
by on Nov. 9, 2008 at 8:28 AM

yep, that's the first thing i thought of as well when i read the op title.  take him to the dr. just in case.

amy

Quoting 1rn:

My first thought is diabetes.Sometimes those that are diabetic will have a sweet smell to them or a acetone like smell... I would run him to the Dr just to make sure and to r/o Diabetes..Has he lost any weight recently , having the sweats or loss or appetite. Google it For more symptoms..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN