Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diaper/Clothes struggle... HELP!

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 3:20 PM
  • 1 Replies

I have a small problem with my two year old son and I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue with their children.

I know most two year olds like to take their clothes off and love just being in their diaper or pullups but my son has a serious attitude with getting dressed at all these days and I'm not understanding it. He also has a problem with me and changing him. He is already at the point where he does not like a wet or dirty diaper but he will not yet tell me when he has to go. We are working with getting him interested in the potty and have it so every time he is only in a diaper and takes it off, we go into the bathroom and take a book or some toy he enjoys and encourage him to use the potty. He likes that and sometimes will sit on the potty, he has peed in it a couple of times but nothing consistant. Yet when I change his diaper and go to put another one on him he runs away and I have to catch him, he starts squirming and I have to hold him down almost to get the diaper on, then I have to put pants on him right away or he takes the diaper off. Then he cries and has a fit saying "diaper off, pants off" over and over until he gets worn out. Then it is another struggle, though a little less of one to get his shirt on.

The one thing I really do not understand is that with my husband and with my mother he does not run away during a change and yet he does with me. I have mild cerebral palsey which affects my left side so my left hand is weaker, so I have to change him a little differently. When it is just wet, I can change him like everyone else but when it is a dirty diaper I have to have him lay on his stomach because I cannot hold his legs up long enough to get him clean. A few months ago he had no problem with this difference and we had no struggle. My mother thinks that because I am his primary caretaker and the one he wants to be closest too all of the time, that he is just pushing me further and testing the limits of what he can get away with because he feels more secure with me. I don't know but it is frustrating and actually hurts a bit.

I don't know what to do and any suggestions that anyone might have would be gladly accepted

by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gacgbaker
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 4:47 PM
To me, it sounds like it might be a good time to drop the diaper, and start potty training.  They don't always know how to tell you they need to go, you have to train them to do that, this is what worked for us:

First we bought a doll that went peepee after a bottle, then gradually we had my son sit on the potty when we took the doll potty. We would ask him every 15-20 minutes if the doll had to go, and then have him sit at the same time. The other thing we did was give rewards like stickers when he went in the potty, then finally he got it! We had an issue with going #2, so what we did with that was get a big toy that he really wanted and put it up on a shelf in the bathroom that he could see but not touch, if he went he got the toy, if he had an accident it went back on the shelf, only had to take it away once or twice!

I hope that helps!  Good luck!

Amber
Pregnancy Group Owner
Children's Health Issues Group Owner
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)