Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

diaper rash....looks like welts! help! UPDATE

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:01 PM
  • 34 Replies

Livie (5 ,months)  is teething so I dont know if that is the deal, or what but she suddenly got this rash on her bottom in the last few days that almost looks like welts.  It is not like a normal spotty rash, etc....it looks like she has been popped on the butt really hard and has a welt.  (but of course she has not and it is a diaper rash).  I have been using creams (triple paste, butt paste, and have tried california baby diaper ointment) and such but it is still bad.  Any suggestions?

the nurse called me back and said that it didnt sound like a yeast infection or a staph infection because those would both have little red bumps....which she has no bumps, just welt like things.  She told me to keep it dry and put ointment on it....which we have been and it is not better......and everyone on here said that from my description it sounded like a yeast infection......eeeerrrrrr.......

preview imagepreview image

breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, cloth-diapering, , non-cio, baby signing, extd. rear facing, extd. harnessing mama         

by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:03 PM

sounds like a yeast infection

chopped headBecky

Sarcasm is just one of the services I offer!

Mellhanks
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:03 PM

I would get it looked at.  My niece use to get these and it was MRSA.  It started when she was 6 months old so if it not looking better take her in.

Lsmom
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:04 PM

what is MRSA?

Quoting Mellhanks:

I would get it looked at.  My niece use to get these and it was MRSA.  It started when she was 6 months old so if it not looking better take her in.

breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, cloth-diapering, , non-cio, baby signing, extd. rear facing, extd. harnessing mama         

parkerkamismom
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:06 PM

A staph infection.

I agree, I'd have it looked at.

Quoting Lsmom:

what is MRSA?

Quoting Mellhanks:

Thanksgiving

Mellhanks
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:07 PM

and I would stop puttig creams on it.  that may make it worse

Quoting parkerkamismom:

A staph infection.

I agree, I'd have it looked at.

Quoting Lsmom:

what is MRSA?

Quoting Mellhanks:

Dance13
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:08 PM

My son had that last month my MIL just told me to keep using the diaper rash cream she said that my husband use to get it and she would mix the butt paste and one other diaper rash cream and make like her own and that cleared it up. it took my son about a week before his cleared. but if it gets worse or doesn't make any progress i would say take her to the doctor and get the prescription diaper rash cream.

2BabIez2BeBaker
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Agreed!  My poor dd had the EXACT same thing happen, and it was HORRIBLE!! I couldn't even put diapers on her!!  BUT I would make an apt with her Dr. so they can get u the perception used for babies yeast infections! Until then, get some plain yogurt AND BUTT PASTE (the actual butt paste brand) and apply it to the area and it will relieve the burn Im sure she's having!!  and the BUTT PASTE keeps any urine from getting to the area and making it worse!!  (also, tea bags in the diaper dilute the acid!!!) Good luck momma!

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

sounds like a yeast infection

!!MOTHER TO KHAYMIN, WIFE TO CASEY!!

Lsmom
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:09 PM

THANKS! I just called the dr and he is calling me back in a few to tell me what he thinks.  Thanks for the input though!

Meganskiddos
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I would get it looked at as well. My dd had one similar and it turned out to be impetigo (form of staph infection) and required Rx ointment.  Went away the next day after the ointment.  I tried all of those ointments and burts bees and nothing worked.  Took her in and that's why.  I would just be safe than sorry.  If it is an infection, it is spreadable.

Cloth diapering-Pro Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Attachment Parenting, Organic Living, Christian Mom, Pro-Life, Free thinking Mom of 2 beautiful children!

kksmommy23
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:10 PM

My guess would be that she needs some Nystatin cream which is only available by a prescription.  Id take her to the doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)