Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

had surgery yesterday. and now my iv site is really swollen and red.

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 11:24 PM
  • 13 Replies

okay, so i had my gallbladder removed yesterday. fun. lol. but im home now in pain and ugh.

im doing okay though, but im kind of worried. in this past week i had 4 iv's. all of my ivs were fine after, but the one they removed today is all red and swollen. like i have a buldge around the iv site. should i call someone? i dont know what or why it would be like that. and if anyone had there gallbladder removed before, i would love to talk to someone. i got 5 insisions and none of them hurt, but the one in my belly button is killing me. its all swollen and ouch. i just want to talk to someone to see what helped them out.

I love my baby girl Jasmine Rose. blowing bubbles

by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crysjuls
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 11:26 PM

do you still have your iv in?  anyhoo, it's not supposed to be like that.  the other iv's you had, were they in the same spot?  i would call a nurse just to be safe.  i had my gallbladder removed about a year ago.  and yeah, the belly button hurt the most!

candie241983
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 11:27 PM

I had my gallbladder out 4 yrs ago, I am also almost a nurse,lol (still in nursing school). Your hand probably just has excess fluid in it, it really should be fine it just may take a couple of days. The belly button cut hurt  me the most to, but I was fine after a couple days. Hope ypu get to feeling better!!

babipeanut
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Call the hospital that you had surg at  and talk to the ER nurse and explain wha is going on --they can tell you if need to be seen. 

Megan190
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 11:27 PM

bump Sorry hun wish i could help so heres a bump

brandi2781
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 11:28 PM

When I had my gallbladder taken out the incision in my belly button hurt the worst.  I think because it had the most pressure on it, so it pulled more.  Sorry you are in pain, mine wasnt that bad.  As far as the IV site, keep a close eye on it and maybe in the morning call your surgeons office just to touch base with them. They may want to see you in there, since it is red and swollen.  Is is hot to the touch?  It may be getting infected.  Good luck with your healing!!!

KittyD

good luck!

Please stop by my page to sign my guest book & decorate a cookie!

mariknouse

I didn't have a problem with any of my IV sites after having my gall bladder out, but I also had an issue with the incision in my belly button.  I had my surgery 3 weeks after a c section, and the doctor said that everything was fine and to call him if anything happened, other then that just check up with my normal doctor at my 6 week checkup (from my c section).  So time goes on and the 3 incisions I had where they put the cameras, healed fine.  The belly button incision hurt so bad and was red and very sore.  One day i went to scratch around it, and actually pulled out a stitch! I couldn't believe it..I ended up pulling about 4 stitches out of that incision 3-4 weeks after my surgery..the surgeon didn't say anything to my husband or I about there being stitches. After I got the stitches all pulled out, it healed up fine within a week and didn't bother me anymore.

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

jothra
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Your IV could be infiltrated or infected. Keep an eye on it, it should be fine now that the IV is out. If it is still open at all, put neosporin on it. Infiltrated means that fluid drained out of your vein and into the space around where the IV was, it will go away with time. Ice and heat should help it. As far as your belly button, I had them put a scope through there before and it didn't hurt. Does it look infected at all? Try and take it easy.

foreverdream105
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 11:35 PM

thank you. i was planing on calling the surgeon tomorrow to check with him, but i was just nervous cuz out of all the ivs i had they never got that swollen. they put it in the middle of my arm and my arm is huge. and red. but its not really hot.

Quoting brandi2781:

When I had my gallbladder taken out the incision in my belly button hurt the worst.  I think because it had the most pressure on it, so it pulled more.  Sorry you are in pain, mine wasnt that bad.  As far as the IV site, keep a close eye on it and maybe in the morning call your surgeons office just to touch base with them. They may want to see you in there, since it is red and swollen.  Is is hot to the touch?  It may be getting infected.  Good luck with your healing!!!

I love my baby girl Jasmine Rose. blowing bubbles

crysjuls
by on Nov. 19, 2008 at 11:37 PM

your whole arm is swollen or just your iv site?  if it's your whole arm, then it's prolly infected.  i would go in the e.r. just to be safe.

Quoting foreverdream105:

thank you. i was planing on calling the surgeon tomorrow to check with him, but i was just nervous cuz out of all the ivs i had they never got that swollen. they put it in the middle of my arm and my arm is huge. and red. but its not really hot.

Quoting brandi2781:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)