Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Taking a bath while dilated safe??? (PIOG)

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 7:15 PM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think its safe?

Options:

Yes

No

I'm not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

Okay, so i am 37 weeks and 6 days pregnant, i am 3cm dilated, I have been having contractions for about two months now, (not regular and not medicated) I am however having more contractions and my legs are very restless and sore, I want to take a bath but got mixed reveiws on google about taking a bath while dilated. so what do you ladies think?

Doctors say I could go into labor at any time because im progressing qickly. I also hear a nice warm bath can help induce labor??? Any advice on this one as well?

Susie & Gavin..

pregnancy due date

by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CarterMommy
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 7:17 PM

i took warm baths when i was dialted and almost due with my boys

didn't put me into labor but was nice and relaxing

julie-1.gif picture by Shrkmom

lorirose
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 7:17 PM

i asked my doctor about it when i was 2 centimeters dialated and he said it was not a good idea

21noahsmama21
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 7:18 PM

It's absolutely safe to take a bath while dialated, how else would women have water births?  I was at 2 cm at 20 weeks and was 4 cm for WEEKS before I finally had my son, and I spent most all of my labor in the bathtub.  No worries.  Now if your water has broken, THAT's when you worry a little more about things like infection.  I don't know about baths inducing labor, I always take baths and had preterm labor at 20 weeks, but I DO know a warm bath is SO wonderful when you have contractions during labor!  Congrats!

miracleobaby

When i had my first baby, i was dialated to a 4 for about a week.. when i started having serious contractions my dr told me to take a warm bath and that if it was "TRUE" labor they would just get stronger and not stop, but that if it wasn't real labor they would stop.. they even having birthing jacuzzis in the hospital i used.. i believe it is fine to take a warm bath unless your water has broken... but then that doesnt make sense to me either because people give birth in the bath??

Kerfuffle

I had a bath... in the hospital, broken water, 7 cm dilated. They suggested it.

It's only bad to have a bath at home when dilated if your water has broken.

If your water in intact, it's fine....  if it breaks while your in the bath thats ok too.

jasiramommy

to mu knowledge the only time you are not suppose to take a bath while pregnant is after your water has broken. I guess it can caue infection or something

M_May-Rafferty

I assume it is safe to take baths as long as you haven't ruptured your membranes.  Then the chance of an infection go up.

Ziggy.Stardust

My doc said it was OK as long as they werent very hot it was fine and dont use any oils or soaps.

21noahsmama21
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 7:19 PM

That's really strange.  Was your water broke? 

Quoting lorirose:

i asked my doctor about it when i was 2 centimeters dialated and he said it was not a good idea

mistyray
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 7:19 PM

as long as your water has not broke it is fine. just dont take a HOT bath. when I worked in the ob dept. they would let the moms take a bath even in full blown labor as long as there water had not broke because of the risk of infection to the baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)