Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Question about tampons and septic tanks!?!?!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 11:06 PM
  • 20 Replies

OK so my hubby had no idea I have been flushing my tampons (just the part that actually goes inside you, sorry if TMI) for a year and half ever since I have been living here!! So today he actually saw it in the toilet ( i was taking a shower and you can't flush when you are taking a shower) and he freaked out. We have a septic tank system and I don't know much about it because I'm a city girl I was born and raised in the city. I moved out to the country with him and I love it but I didn't know I wasn't suppose to flush those. I thought they broke up like toilet paper does!! I am hoping I am right!! I was looking on the Internet and it said don't flush anything that is not biodegradable and when I looked up my tampons they are just not the applicator which I would never flush that it is plastic!! So please help me!! I don't want to have to throw them in the trash that is just nasty! I want to flush them so I don't have to deal with them!! Otherwise I would just use pads. If anyone has any info that would help! I want to show it to my hubby so he will stop freaking out!! Thanks ahead of time!!!

ashley-2.gif picture by TagzObsessed

by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
westtexaslady
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 11:09 PM

i don't really think a septic tank has anything to do with it... the problem would be the tampon getting stuck before it even gets there. as long as you're not putting a bunch of toilet paper in there along with the tampon, you should be fine...

ajswenson
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 11:10 PM

NO NO NO....he is right.  Born and raised country girl and those are bad bad bad for your septic.  Have you had your septic cleaned out since you lived there??? You really may want to do that this Spring (or ASAP if you live in warm area)....if that thing backs up bad....sorry.

nanaT2
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Sorry to say hubby is right, don't flush them down the toilet. Actually some tp is better than others for septic systems. Charmin is the worst to use with septic systems.

JessPynk

I don't think u can flush tampons, pads, condoms, or baby wipes or anything down into a septic system....only toilet paper!!

Happy Holidays Snowmen...

CAarmywife

i know exactlty what ur talking about. yea the tampon can clog some stuff and u will need a plumber to fix it. i have heard of it happening but not enough to make me stop doing it. we have been doing at my old house for 20 years and we never had a problem.

westtexaslady

i don't know why i didn't think about it like that... probably because i need to go to bed. i thought you meant as in stopping up the toilet. she is right... i haven't had a septic tank for very long either... lol

Quoting ajswenson:

NO NO NO....he is right.  Born and raised country girl and those are bad bad bad for your septic.  Have you had your septic cleaned out since you lived there??? You really may want to do that this Spring (or ASAP if you live in warm area)....if that thing backs up bad....sorry.

Phyleva
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 11:12 PM
I was told by the man who installed my septic system not to flush them. Sorry! I just put them into the trash and take out the trash A LOT.
ashleigh24
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Charmin is my favorite too! Owell he will just have to get someone to fix it later on!! Cuz i ain't stopping using my charmin!! NO WAY!!!!

Quoting nanaT2:

Sorry to say hubby is right, don't flush them down the toilet. Actually some tp is better than others for septic systems. Charmin is the worst to use with septic systems.

ashleigh24
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Dang that sucks! I guess I will have to put them in the trash! Gosh I hate having a period!! Thanks for everyone's responses!! I knew he was right! He is always right!! I hate being wrong too!! LOL

momsixtimes
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Our toilet usually messes up on a week-end... and that costs big bucks!  They told us the strings on the tampons get tangled up in the toilet paper and that causes the problems.  UGH!  I hate not flushing them!  Way past menopause time for me!  LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN