Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your holiday traditions?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:48 AM
  • 8 Replies

I was just wondering what kinds of holiday traditions everyone has. Do you have a special meal you eat? Special movie, show or song every year? Traditional gift? Activities?

Growing up my mom always got me a new pair of PJ's for x-mas. Since she died, all my friends and family has made sure I get a pair each year. I am now starting it with DS. He will be 19 months in a couple days. I am going to make it a tradition to get him a new pair, and have him open them on x-mas eve. DH and I also decided to have a letter from Santa sent to him every year. It will be fun even when he is a adult. I also love the movie White Christmas. I watch it every year, usually on x-mas eve.

Love Being  a MomI love photographylittleboy.giflifesabitch.gifcountrykaz_momwithattitude.gifperfectpisces.gif

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TessyCat
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:51 AM

We put a small gift outside that fell off Santa's sleigh for the kids to find. They love it but last year my oldest DD worried that she inadvertantly stole somebody's gift so I think we will revamp it to fall out of Santa's bag with their name on it instead.

KatCakes2788
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:54 AM

We've been getting a new ornament every year to add on to the tree that represented something that happened that year. This year we're going to start the Pickle tradition where you hide a pickle ornament in the tree and whoever is the first to find it gets to open the first gift. My daughter is 2 so we'll just let her point it out but when she's and her soon to be here sister get older I think it'll be a lot of fun. We also do the pajama thing. I always make a big breakfast in the morning too and have The Santa Caluse or some sort of movie on while we open presents. Another thing that we do is read the gift of the Magi and The Christmas story at my inlaw's house after we open our gifts. On Christmas eve we always go to my dad's for a big meal and get together and open gifts there that are from him. I'm spanish so we clelbrate Christmas on the eve. I also get a picture of us infront of the tree in our pj's with our "just woke up hair" every year. :)

~You know your too into Twilight when you look at your husband and think 'dang it, why don't you sparkle?'~

~edward cullen is to women what sex is to men.... on our minds every 7 seconds...~

iluvmybaby175
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:57 AM

hehe thats too cute that she was concerned about getting someone else's gift =] how old is she?

i go to my grandmas every x-mas eve open gifts eat come home open gifts go to bed then get up and open more =] .....since having my son though it will be diff. got to Grandma's eat come back to my moms open gifts with him , go to bed get up open the rest of his gifts ,go to my SO's mom and dads probably eat and open more gifts =] fun stuff! .....no real traditions though...this one sounds like a good one that i might do for my son someday ..if thats ok with you =]

Quoting TessyCat:

We put a small gift outside that fell off Santa's sleigh for the kids to find. They love it but last year my oldest DD worried that she inadvertantly stole somebody's gift so I think we will revamp it to fall out of Santa's bag with their name on it instead.

Photobucket

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lori_G4
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:00 AM

We invite close friends and family over on Christmas Eve. We bake a ham, supply all the fixings for a sub-fabulous sub sandwich, and everyone else brings other goodies. Everyone knows to bring one wrapped gift for their child to open ( which HAS to be new PJ's), and I buy small prize toys to wrap for the kiddos to unwrap as well. All of the kiddos make and decorate 2 cookies each: one for himself and one to take home to leave out for Santa. Before the night is over any child that is old enough to read (and wants to) takes turn reading "T'was the Night Before Christmas" and "The True Story of Christmas." My kids look forward to our Christmas Eve party as much as they do Christmas morning!!!!

Chris & Lori             Valerie-10             Brian-7                  Dalton-5           Maya-Jan 3, '08

I home school because I have seen the village, and I don't want it educating my children!

Patty24momof5
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:03 AM

WE HAVE THE TRADITIONAL DINNER AND FAMILY OF COURSE BUT AS FAR AS SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAT WE DO.THE CHRISTMAS PICKLE!

tln1
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:44 PM

bump

ohmsgrace05
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Our town has a Holiday Concert, all you do is take some canned food and its free, so we enjoy doing that every year.

I also doing the PJ's thing on Christmas eve...we just started this year...I think that sounds cute!

We go to dinner at DH uncle's house on Christmas eve, then afterwards, DD, DH, and I ride around and look at all the Christmas lights to get DD wound down for the night.

Our other new tradition we are starting this year is to donate to the Animal Shelter. 

tln1
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Quoting ohmsgrace05:

Our town has a Holiday Concert, all you do is take some canned food and its free, so we enjoy doing that every year.

I also doing the PJ's thing on Christmas eve...we just started this year...I think that sounds cute!

We go to dinner at DH uncle's house on Christmas eve, then afterwards, DD, DH, and I ride around and look at all the Christmas lights to get DD wound down for the night.

Our other new tradition we are starting this year is to donate to the Animal Shelter. 

I forgot, we also donate to some sort of charity. This year we gave a little to Toys for Tots and we picked 2 names off the Giving Tree.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)