Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So We Could Have Been Murdered By Now

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:10 AM
  • 25 Replies

I live in the Metro Detroit area (outlying area) and someone tried to break into our house at around 2:30 -2:40 a.m. ish. I called 911 at approximately 2:40. I called back at 3:15. It's now 4:10 and still nothing.

The kitchen window was pushed in. We heard a loud crash, like something falling, and gave each other the "hey, did something fall down" quizzical look, and about then there was a another really louder crash and a big kind of boom noise. DH went running out of the bedroom yelling, "Who's there? Call 911, call 911, call 911" and I ran and grabbed my phone and dialed (should have had it next to me in the bedroom but left it on the charge in the living room.

The kitchen window, which we thought was locked, was pushed in -- not lifted up -- like tilted in how the newer replacement windows do for cleaning -- and DH unthinkingly threw it back into the frame while screaming, thinking that someone would be entering any second and trying to block them out, and they might have a gun, etc.

We left it cracked open how it was when he put it back in, waiting for the police, and now the furnace is still running and running from the cold air.

Anyway, it's lucky we scared them (him/her/them/whomever) off with our screaming and running around. As long as it's taken the police to get here, now an hour and half in the middle of the night, someone could have already come on in and gone Helter Skelter on our asses, you know?

I mean, not to be complaining about the police, but seriously.

My 2 yr old is still up and scared.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lu-Lu
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:15 AM

Wow/... sorry about that. I know that had to be scary. Maybe call them back.

snuggz

oh wow, glad to hear you guys are unharmed... Has the police gotten there? Have you tried calling them back?? How scary.. I would not be able to sleep comfortable until I knew the place was safe and secured for me and my son...

krazynellie

OMG!!!!!!!!! I am glad you guys are OK. I would be on the phone with 911 until the police showed up. That will hurry there asses up.

Pyzam Glitter Text Maker

Justine1123
by Justine on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:17 AM

I understand why you are annoyed and its sad that unless they were extremely busy your dispatch has gotten off the phone with you.. I usually stay on they phone when someone thinks they have a prowler if they want me to unless its not possible.  It shouldn't take that long then again they may be very busy.. What did they say when you called back

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Nel3687
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:19 AM

I'm glad you are ok!  thats crazy!!

Nahjela
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:20 AM

Oh yeah, I should say thank God we're OK, but no I can't sleep, the baby is finally asleep on my shoulder but screams "I'm scared" if I put her down, the kitchen window is still open, the furnace is still running, and yeah, I've called twice.

It's now 4:20, an hour and 40 minutes.

Nahjela
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:22 AM

They said they didn't know when they were coming and that they sent two units.

Quoting Justine1123:

I understand why you are annoyed and its sad that unless they were extremely busy your dispatch has gotten off the phone with you.. I usually stay on they phone when someone thinks they have a prowler if they want me to unless its not possible.  It shouldn't take that long then again they may be very busy.. What did they say when you called back

mangotea
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:23 AM

i would be on the phone first thing this morning with attorney genral fililing a complaint

Quoting Nel3687:

I'm glad you are ok!  thats crazy!!

Justine1123
by Justine on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:26 AM

Call back request an eta and request for the officers ent to your house to give you a phone call you'd like to speak to them.  If you get no where asked to be transfered to the sheriffs voicemail trust me they dont like getting messages

Quoting Nahjela:

They said they didn't know when they were coming and that they sent two units.

Quoting Justine1123:

I understand why you are annoyed and its sad that unless they were extremely busy your dispatch has gotten off the phone with you.. I usually stay on they phone when someone thinks they have a prowler if they want me to unless its not possible. It shouldn't take that long then again they may be very busy.. What did they say when you called back

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

akhlass
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:26 AM

I live in Los Angeles and the police take forever to show up on calls.  When  you call 911 sometimes it is busy or the call gets rerouted to other locations.  In the future, when you call tell them you believe that the intruder is inside your home and you have locked yourself inside your bedroom, so they will come quicker!  Unfortunately, they have to believe that you feel threatened the 911 operators communicate the threat to the officers and the command decides which kind of calls they go to first.  You need to make them choose yours as a priority call.  With all the budget cuts, in the USA the police and fire departments don't have enough help.

For my daughter, Ameena
 LOVE
Alicia (akhlass) Group Owner
Children with Special Needs
http://www.cafemom.com/group/hollywoodspecialneeds

Childrenwithspecialneeds.gif picture by paprikash

Muslim Converts Speak
http://www.cafemom.com/group/muslimconverts

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)