Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*UPDATE 12/18* :( help me

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:58 AM
  • 10 Replies

ds is sick again. every time he coughs, he throws up. He wont take his formula or pedialyte. he is playing in the tub but i would like him to sleep. I have changed him two times so far and hes had 2 baths.

what can i do to help him sleep without throwing up? Any suggestions? I need sleep or im going to fall over. I'm still sick myself.

I took ds to the doctor on the 15. He had a sinus infection.  was doing better. last night we ended up in the er because he wasnt keeping any liquids down for over 24 hours. today we saw his ped and he lost 2 pounds. they want to see him back next week or sooner if his labs come back abnormal.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FrugalZenMom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:02 AM

If every time I coughed I threw up, I'd go to the hospital. Dehydration can happen. Hope your son feels better soon.

Charla74
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:04 AM

Call his dr when they open up... other than that I am not too helpful... My kids never got too sick when they were little.

my4kids274
by Drill Sergeant Mommy on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:05 AM

Is he throwing up because he is coughing so much he is gagging?  My oldest dd used to do that all the time.  I got to the point I would make her sit with a small waste basket because it would constantly happen to her when she had a bad cold.  Also how old is your ds?

my4kids274
by Drill Sergeant Mommy on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:07 AM

Forget the question about the age of your ds....I just realized you had your son's age in your siggy...I must say now that I realized your son's age my advice is useless considering my dd was much older when she would do this.  I honestly would call the doctor this morning. 

Quoting my4kids274:

Is he throwing up because he is coughing so much he is gagging?  My oldest dd used to do that all the time.  I got to the point I would make her sit with a small waste basket because it would constantly happen to her when she had a bad cold.  Also how old is your ds?

paigesmommy925
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:07 AM

My roommate's girlfriend just had this happen and she had an upper respiratory infection and was extremely dehydrated.  I would take him to the ER or at least make an appointment to get into the dr asap.

Mynesha
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:10 AM

When my daughter was doing the same thing, they said to give her whatever she would take down in terms of getting fluids into her, popsickles, whatever. We were advised to give her only a teaspoon of fluid at a time (every 15 minutes), and after four hours of her not throwing it back up, to increase the amount of fluids we gave her, every 15 minutes. This actually worked.

If it's a simple cold, just wait it out. Your doctor may prescribe a cough medicine if they feel it's necessary. Are you able to prop the little one up on a pillow, head elevated? As an adult this often helps me to not only relieve the coughing, but makes breathing much easier.

VerucaSallt
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:10 AM

Until you can get her to the doctor I would get a room nice and humid... definitely NOT the cold kind.  If you don't have a good hypersonic humidifier I would invest in one.  Anyhoo, if you do, get her in the room and keep it nice and humid to help with coughing.  Make sure he is propped somewhat upright so if God forbid he pukes again he won't aspirate. 

Doctors don't like it when infants that young are that dehydrated.  Is it runny out the other end, too? 

mommieof4girlz
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:12 AM

sorry he is sick..for now..just love him until his pediatricians are open.  If you have tried all your other options..the best one is to call his Dr when they are open

Juann25
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:16 AM

When is the last time he kept anything down ? Do his eyes look kinda sunken ? Is his skin tight ? I know it sounds weird, but these are signs of dehydration. Does he have a vein any where on his body that you can normally see with out a problem and now you can't see it or not as well ? Check for these things and go from there.

Mom2Ali2007
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:24 AM

When Ali got sick like that last year I would take her in the bathroom after I had run the shower a bit and got it full of steam.

Then I would take her in the bedroom and lay her on my bed and suction her nose out , She didn't have much of a runny nose but there was a lot of gunk in there that was draining down her throat causing the cough.

Then I would put vicks on a tissue and place it between her onsie and her Jammies and when she would be almost asleep I would put her in her car seat so she would be propped up and breath a bit easier.

Doing all that would get me about 2 hours of rest/napping  while she dosed in and out before the cough fest would start again.

When she would start coughing I would hold a folded receiving blanket in front of her so I just had to wash those and not EVEYTHING else too.

Also you might want to check into teething tablets , he may be teething too and even if he isn't they will help him relax and rest more comfortably when he can rest.

Shel

Mom to Ali born 08~27~07 7:11 pm

7lb 1oz 20 1/2 inches long

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)