Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about WIC & Food Stamps....

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:15 AM
  • 5 Replies

My sister & her husband applied for WIC & Food Stamps last year but were told they make too much money (yeah right!). Well last month they seperated, but not legally. She was thinking about re-applying since she's a single mom now. But legally they are still married, so my question is do you think if she re-applies if they'll ask for proof of their seperation or if you have to legally be seperated? If she just puts she's single & doesn't mention her husband (or soon to be ex-husband) do you think they'll know she's "married" if she applies since they're probably still in the system from when they first applied? She was asking me, but I've never applied for any of that so I dont know how it works, I figured someone on here might know so thanks ladies!

christmas treeCrystal  santa blue

Merry Christmas

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mamadetresbbg
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:19 AM

What I heard is that you need legal proof that you are not together...I think they need to be divorced and show proof of Child support...YOu can call and see what they say.

Kimarlene74
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:19 AM

They will just want prove that he's no longer in the home, and if he's paying any sort of child support, she needs to show proof of that too.  I'm sure they deal with separated couples often.

pam228
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:24 AM

as long as they're living in separate homes she'll be fine. she might have to fill out a landlord statement(or a paper signed by a few people stating how many and who lives in the home).

Nahjela
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:25 AM

Yeah, she just needs to tell them that he doesn't live in the home. The clincher is, don't try to keep him living there and then lie to try to get benefits for a single mom and kids, because they'll go after him for child support, so if the father is still in the home, you don't come out ahead.

Not that I'm saying that's what they are doing, I'm just adding that in there for anyone reading who needs the same info.

I got assistance during my pregnancy and right after the baby was born, and DH lives in the house with us, but he was off because he'd had his second heart attack and had his 2nd and third stents placed while I was pregnant!  He has a congenital heart condition and had his first heart attack at age 37.

Anyway, even though he lives with us, they went after him for child support, and I had to go through a whole ordeal showing his temporary disability and health stuff, so that they didn't make hime pay while I was getting benefits during that time.

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:09 AM

She will only need to prove that he doesn't live in the home with her, some sort of address change or something.  You don't need to provide legal seperation papers.  Then again, it's different in every state.  That's how it works in FL.

*EDIT*  They will also make her comply with child support.

~Jill~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)