Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Respect... earned or not. a thought then I will drop it (this is long)

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:19 AM
  • 16 Replies

Please read the whole post before you respond so you understand where I am coming from.  I would appreciate the courtesy.  If you don't want to read it all :) please don't respond because you probably didn't get the gist of my whole message.  Thank you :)

I am making a new post b/c I don't feel like posting in the middle of and rehashing the argument from last night by drawing attention to one or two people, which, btw, my post was still not that intense when I went to bed, and I feel bad that people got so upset about it. That wasn't my intent, I just had a question.  But I wanted to mention this... a lot was said about GWB needing to EARN our respect, and that you can laugh about the shoe incident b/c you don't like what he has done to our country and others, therefore you don't respect him etc, etc.  It was also mentioned that we can show disrespect because we are a democracy, and therefore have the freedom to think what we want, and so if we want to laugh that someone insulted our president we have that right b/c by god we are americans.

but here's the thing about the President of our country and earning respect (and by President I mean any man we have elected to office not just GWB).  We DO live in a democracy... a democracy where we have the RIGHT to vote any man we want to into office.  Sometimes the man we don't like wins.  Then that man goes into office, puts things before Congress, and they as an administration do things we don't like.  HOWEVER, as an AMERICAN DEMOCRACY we as a PEOPLE united put him there.  Therefore, simply by us voting him into office he has earned our respect.  Whether or not you voted him, we AS A PEOPLE put him in a position of power, and even if he and his administration abuse that power, we still respect him.   Thats what makes it different from having to respect the leader of a monarchy or dictatorship. They were not elected into office... they were either "born" into their office, or took the office in a move of power.  That is why, in this democracy of ours, we have put a term limit on how long one man can serve, so that if he DOES mess up, we don't have him in a powerful position for more than 4-8 years.

Let me flip this for you for a second because I never once saw a response to this.  Reverse the situation.  I did not vote for Obama.  In my eyes, the man has done nothing to deserve my respect!  In fact, there are a lot of questions that I have about his policy!  BUT, as a NATION UNITED we invited this man to lead our country.  Will he do things we don't like? who knows... I can't see the future.  But regardless of what he does, and the fact that I did NOT vote for him, I am still going to show him respect while he is the President of the United States, simply because he earned that respect when more than half of the American people placed their trust in him.  Would I laugh if someone threw a shoe at Pres.-elect Obama?  NO!  of course not! That isn't something that should happen to someone, especially when that shoe means more than just a "thrown shoe".  Read about the culture of the country where that shoe was thrown, and find out how insulting that journalist meant for that to be.

I guess that is what I was confused about.  You say a man has to earn respect... no matter how much we dislike someone, we don't throw shoes, and no matter how much we PERSONALLY do not respect Bush, that does not mean that we should not show COURTESY towards him and show him PROFESSIONAL respect.  It's two different things.  Just remember, whether you voted for the man or not, the whole country put him there.  It IS about office, regardless of what you might think.  It's not about respecting GWB as a man, its about respecting the office of the President of the United States.  I think thats what everyone lost sight of. 

Thank you for not attacking me personally for making my orginal post.  It's not easy to post your own opinion sometimes because it seems like sometimes peoples opposing opinion means they have to insult and slam you, and I appreciate people not doing that :).  It lets me be brave enough to continue to post my thoughts on here.

PS I am probably randomly going to bump this today b/c I want to make sure the moms who were on my post last night see this.  Again, as you didn't last night, please don't bash today for me posting THIS

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VerucaSallt
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:22 AM

I am convinced the attacks on 9/11 had a lot to do with perceived vulnerability by our enemies after that debacle of an election.

This is why I think it is so important to show respect to the office and be united based on the fact that never in the history of our country has every citizen been for one man to be president.

I am not a happy camper with Obama coming into office.  I will support him as much as I can without compromising my values because we are one nation and we need to start acting like it.

Good post :-)

mom2girlsNC
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:26 AM

Well put!

I didn't see your first post but heres a

bump

Tracie

Patience is the key to paradise.

jazzyandpat
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:48 AM

ok i didnt see your last post. i am going to say this no matter what you have done in life or the country this shouldnt of happen to him. no man in this world shouldnt have nothing thew at him or her.your post was very well put.

petersgal
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:50 AM

thank you mamas

petersgal
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:19 AM
bump
smcclure2005
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:49 AM

I know that no one is going to like my opinion... but I laughed my ass off. I think it is funny. Sorry but there is no way in hell I would put my ass in a country that I am at war with and think for 1 second that I am safe and people are going to accept me there.

petersgal
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:53 AM

:) thanks for your opinion.  I think you should post this in my other post about WHY people were laughing... I just wanted to clarify respect though since it seems like people have strange concepts (at least to me) about how we are allowed to treat people we don't like. 

But I appreciate you honestly posting your opinion

Quoting smcclure2005:

I know that no one is going to like my opinion... but I laughed my ass off. I think it is funny. Sorry but there is no way in hell I would put my ass in a country that I am at war with and think for 1 second that I am safe and people are going to accept me there.

kandycain
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:59 AM

i agree entirely. I dind't see your post last night but i'm pretty sure i'd have agreed then as well. we have to hvae respect for OUR COUNTRY and if you don't, i'm sure you can find a country you DO respect and would want to live in.

Mommylisa7
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:07 AM

First off I am a huge Obama supporter.  Yet, I did not find this funny at all.  I am amazed that Americans find this funny when the country this man is from does not.  They have apologized for his actions.  He is the president and he is the head of our country.  I have not agreed with any of his policies and am glad we will be done with him soon, but throwing a shoe at him---not funny!

petersgal
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:09 AM

thank you :) I hope it didn't come across as a slam against Obama in any way, b/c that wasn't how I meant it, nor did I mean to imply that it was just Obama supporters that were laughing!  Anyway, I appreciate what you said

Quoting Mommylisa7:

First off I am a huge Obama supporter.  Yet, I did not find this funny at all.  I am amazed that Americans find this funny when the country this man is from does not.  They have apologized for his actions.  He is the president and he is the head of our country.  I have not agreed with any of his policies and am glad we will be done with him soon, but throwing a shoe at him---not funny!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)