Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made the right decision, I just know I did...

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:49 AM
  • 14 Replies

I kept my first grade son home from school today.  No my son is not sick and the reason wasn't me not wanting to get out of bed.   I think the school system sucks as far as knowing when to call off school.  I know they only have a certain about of "snow" days, but the weather here is ridiculous.

It rained yesterday after getting a good dumping of snow a few days before.  After is rained the temp. dropped at least 30 degress which means freezing the rain over the snow.  If that wasn't bad enough, the wind chill is 26 BELOW zero.  I can hear the wind blowing like crazy right now.  It sounds like our furnace is constantly on but it is really the wind. 

Sorry, I'm not putting my son on bus for an hour that has been known to break down with slippery roads and bone chilling/freezing wind.  He's safe at home snuggled in his bed and looking very happy.

I can't be the only mom that has made this choice!!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KatherineM
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:52 AM

You made the right choice momma. There is no way I would send my baby out in that mess.

SusanD
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:53 AM

I have never made that choice, my kiddos have never even had a school day cancelled due to weather. Growing up, I didn't either. However this comes from the person who never saw more than an inch or so of snow at any point in time until I was out of state for basic training at 21yrs old.

However, if I were in your situation I would have made the same decision.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/13434 - A group for moms who want to work from home in an employee setting without having to invest in a home based business. Please come join us. NO ADVERTISING OF HOME BASED BUSINESSES ALLOWED....thank you!  

M0M0F03
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:54 AM

Sounds like our school district! As long as in town looks good, they don't care about our country roads. Last year, I emailed the superintendent, and complained, pretty much called him an idiot, he actually emailed me back, and thanked me for putting my name and number...lol....guess he gets a lot of hate mail from anonymous sources. He did say he gets just as much mail when he shuts schools down.

Bianca008
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:57 AM

I give my boys snow days when I feel the weather is too bad also and we live in town

ktnmase
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:58 AM

As a youth my mother made that choice for me too, Although i've never seen that kind  weather..(here)..  it has been at the opposite end of the scale. When the temp. would get over 104 degree's I was never sent to school (luckily for us The start of december signalled the end of the school year untill late january, Its Summer here.. oh and i think we used to actaully get sent home when it got real bad).  I was just thinking about that today because it hit 105.8..and all i thought was.. thank gosh the kids are off school.

christy1977
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:58 AM

you made the right decision!! our school is closed. since thurs. friday and today. NO POWER!! and we are only giving 4 snow days. and its just started for nasty weather!! 

we are upstate ny! in new lebanon!! so a lot of back roads!

JT2005
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:00 AM

I did the same thing a few weeks ago with our three DS's. I can't believe the school is still open with the weather that bad!

Juann25
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:03 AM

Sounds like our school system too. Sometimes I am stunned that they are still open when it's freezing out and the roads are covered in ice. I to make snow days when the school doesn't ! Good Job momma !

mstnbecki
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:13 AM

I do it all the time,MY kids MY choice I decide when its safe, not the school and if they dont like it then they can kiss my bleep bleep bleep.My oldest is disabled and his school is in a county that gets it bad when it snows and if it bad at my house I know its worse there so he dont go Im not risking my childrens life for any school.

Memaw08
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Your decision not theirs. I had to make that acall many times when my kids were young. I sent them one time when the weather was really bad and I went crazy all day long with worry. So I never did that again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)