Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question about the Army.

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:50 AM
  • 8 Replies

Okay, so my DF is in the Police Force and loves his job, but lately he has been saying he wants to do more to help people, and was considering joining the Army for Australia, I have nothing what so ever against the Army, I just DON'T want him to join.He has been a Police Officer for 4 years.

I how ever have no idea how mum's do it with having your SO in the Army being deployed for months on end.

Should I let him go or not?

I mean he is making it all up to me, which makes it hard for me.

Fiance to Police Officer of 4 years.

We've been together since 28th of the November 2006.     

Ryan-Jay Lucas  -24/7/2006 8lbs, 2oz, 16nch, born at 3:36pm

Xavier Chase - 17/7/2008 6lbs, 3oz, 22inch, born at 5:30am

Oliver Owen - 17/7/2008 5lbs, 3oz, 22inch born at 5:37am.                                                    

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tes1proudmomma
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:53 AM

You two really need to sit down and talk with each other about it....

Also, a good thing for you to do is go with him to speak with a recruiter so you can get all the questions you have answered.

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

mcqlove87
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:53 AM

i would check with some of the army groups here on cm, they offer great advice and support.

ILoveAMissyTrucker.png I love my trucker image by mrs24fan

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:55 AM

It's a hard decision to make. I don't know how the army of australia works but in the us we will be moving every 2-3 years, the soldiers deploy for 12-18 months at a time, you go where ever they tell you, you are separated from family and friends, you may have to move to a place (like I am ) over 1,000 miles away from anything/anyone I have ever known.  It is a hard life, I will say that, and we are just doing our first move since he just finished training.  Some people really thrive in the army lifestyle and some don't.  It is something you really need to do research on.  I'm glad your fiancee is including you in the decision, my dh didn't and gave me 4 days notice after telling me he wasn't doing it.  Good luck.

kaker104
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Its hard, but I love it. Even when I'm going thru deployments (like now) I wouldn't trade it for the world.

sherry132
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:00 AM

I know absolutely nothing about the Australian Army. I only know about the US Army.

Deployments are HARD. They are SCARY. They are LONG.

But .....

You adjust.

It seems like forever till he comes home and suddenly the time has come to pick him up.

The hardest part is doing it all alone.

You wanna hear something funny about deployments.

After he is gone 2 weeks or a month.... you begin to feel more apprehension about him coming home than you ever felt about him leaving. Because you get to used to it. Once you get over the initial shock of being alone, and being scared, you accept it and you ease into it. Then it is not so bad.

I would not trade my life for anything. Even with the long lonely months of deployment. For the US Army, it is a stable job with out the worry of layoffs or closings. It means housing and all utilities paid. It brings security. But most of all.....

I am filled with PRIDE to be an Army wife.

MummySince2006
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:06 AM

I also have no idea about the Australian Army - kinda bad. Thank you for all the information, I will be sitting down and talking to him about it.

Fiance to Police Officer of 4 years.

We've been together since 28th of the November 2006.     

Ryan-Jay Lucas  -24/7/2006 8lbs, 2oz, 16nch, born at 3:36pm

Xavier Chase - 17/7/2008 6lbs, 3oz, 22inch, born at 5:30am

Oliver Owen - 17/7/2008 5lbs, 3oz, 22inch born at 5:37am.                                                    

bcarmona
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:14 AM

I don't know much about how the Australian Army works, but my hubby is going on his 4th deployment with the U.S Marines.  Deployments are hard (especially the first) but you get used to it after a while.  The good thing about them is it teaches you both never to take the time you have together for granted.  You cry in the beginning when he's gone, but then you have to find yourself in a place of solitude instead of loneliness.  When you're in solitude you find a lot of things to take up to help make yourself a better person.  It could be a new hobby, going to the gym, etc.  there's all sorts of things you'll find out about yourself when he's not around (you may find you're a lot stronger than you think!)  I cried for the first couple of weeks when he was gone (I was 17) but then I thought "WHAT AM I DOING?"  Then I found things to better myself.  I had more time to study, read, apply to colleges, etc so that's what I did.  A con about deployments is some come back with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) it can put a strain on the family for a while, but it's not impossible to overcome.  I think it's very noble of him to want to serve his country, the best thing that you can do is stand by his side no matter his choice and let him know you're proud of him.  Good luck to you all!

katecole
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:18 AM

I am going to go ahead and join the club and say that I don't know anything about the Australian army.  My hubby is in the US Army.  He has spent the last year in Korea away from us.  Yes, it is hard, and yes I would rather have him home with me and our son.  But the long term benefits for our family outway the "momentary" hardships.  I never thought I would be an Army wife, and there are days where I don't do it gracefully, but I am proud of my  hubby.  The best advice I can give you is to make sure you are looking at the whole picture, whatever your decision is.  Get ALL the information, check with other people besides the recruiter!  Good luck with your decision!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)