Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The school sent home a letter....shooting...

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:48 AM
  • 13 Replies

My sons school sent home a letter in the Friday folder stating that rumors/stories have been going around in the past week that there is a shooting planned to take place in our local High school.  The letter says that they are working with the Police dept to be sure that nothing is going to happen.  I've kind of ticked though, they waited a week before notifying parents of any of this.  All of our schools with exception to one are in one area of space.  My sons elementary school is right next door to the High school and the play ground is right outside the high school doors.  I'm very frustrated!  The high school had a bomb threat so the school didn't notify parents until that friday when the threat was on a Tuesday!  I know they want to have all the facts on the matters at hand, but how can you trust them to protect your children when they don't trust parents enough to tell us important info?  Just so you know we live in a VERY small town, it's only one mile long or so.  And our Police dept is a joke, we have 2 full time cops and 1 part time.

Just had to vent.  How do yours kids schools handle these things?

MyHotComments.comMyHotComments
I'm the candle lady! Check out my profile and see what i'm into!
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awmw06
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:50 AM

our schools have metal detectors, security guards, and everything, but we live in st louis. gl mama, I know u must be paniced, I would be...itll be okay...

sxwalke
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:52 AM

consider homeschooling?? Or driving to another town??  thats insane

shecallsmemom04
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:52 AM

chances are it's just a (very bad) prank or a bluff.  but with all these school shootings it definately is concerning.  do they know who started the rumors?  was it a kid?

"there is no greater feeling the the world, than the feeling you get when you save an animals life....be a part of the solution and not the problem, spay and neuter, report animal abuse, adopt, and save a life."

shecallsmemom04
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:54 AM

ok, that's a bit outrageous.  people are getting shot in malls and banks and everywhere else these days.  what are you going to do?  lock yourself at home and go no where, ever.  homeschool was a bit off the wall and not everyone can do that.  and drive to another town?  for what?  school?  you have to pay tuition to go to a school not in your district.

Quoting sxwalke:

"there is no greater feeling the the world, than the feeling you get when you save an animals life....be a part of the solution and not the problem, spay and neuter, report animal abuse, adopt, and save a life."

Juann25
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM

Whoa really ? Is it a bad school or town ? Our school notifies us right away and tell us that as soon as they get more info we will be informed ! Scary stuff.

Quoting awmw06:

our schools have metal detectors, security guards, and everything, but we live in st louis. gl mama, I know u must be paniced, I would be...itll be okay...

2boysMoma
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM

They are NOT telling us anything other than there are rumors and the police are involved.  I wish they'd say more.  I think I might call the local news and tell them they may have a story, that might be the only way we get any news/updates on it.

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

chances are it's just a (very bad) prank or a bluff.  but with all these school shootings it definately is concerning.  do they know who started the rumors?  was it a kid?

MyHotComments.comMyHotComments
I'm the candle lady! Check out my profile and see what i'm into!
mandalouwhotn
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:56 AM

We have never had anything like this come up, but if I got a letter saying something like that my child wouldn't be in school until they figured it out.  I do not think I could send my child to a school that had bomb threats and shooting threats.  I would be moving to a different school district or finding a private school.  Thats crazy to me.

Quoting 2boysMoma:

My sons school sent home a letter in the Friday folder stating that rumors/stories have been going around in the past week that there is a shooting planned to take place in our local High school.  The letter says that they are working with the Police dept to be sure that nothing is going to happen.  I've kind of ticked though, they waited a week before notifying parents of any of this.  All of our schools with exception to one are in one area of space.  My sons elementary school is right next door to the High school and the play ground is right outside the high school doors.  I'm very frustrated!  The high school had a bomb threat so the school didn't notify parents until that friday when the threat was on a Tuesday!  I know they want to have all the facts on the matters at hand, but how can you trust them to protect your children when they don't trust parents enough to tell us important info?  Just so you know we live in a VERY small town, it's only one mile long or so.  And our Police dept is a joke, we have 2 full time cops and 1 part time.

Just had to vent.  How do yours kids schools handle these things?

ChristineSellsT
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:56 AM

We recently had a situation like that at one of our High Schools....gangs from the bigger city up north were coming down to the suburbs to reek havoc. They called in more man power and had the high school on lock down every day....they also gave the option of allowing kids to stay home without it affecting their attendance record (parent had to give permission)....You may want to contact the school to see if you can get your childs work for the next couple days until you feel like its blown over.

mandalouwhotn
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:57 AM

I would rather pay to go out of district than pay for a funeral.  And I have never got a letter from my mall or bank saying we think there is going to be a shooting this week, and if I did, no i wouldn't be going there either.

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

ok, that's a bit outrageous.  people are getting shot in malls and banks and everywhere else these days.  what are you going to do?  lock yourself at home and go no where, ever.  homeschool was a bit off the wall and not everyone can do that.  and drive to another town?  for what?  school?  you have to pay tuition to go to a school not in your district.

Quoting sxwalke:

shecallsmemom04
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:00 AM

what makes you think any district is "safe".  our catholic school(which is private) just went through this.  my daughters school is right next to it.  they had a lock down.  it WAS scary.  definately.  and very concerning.  but no one can live in a bubble.  there's dangers no matter where you go.  i wasn't referring to a letter from a mall, my point was no matter where you go, crap can happen. 

Quoting mandalouwhotn:

I would rather pay to go out of district than pay for a funeral.  And I have never got a letter from my mall or bank saying we think there is going to be a shooting this week, and if I did, no i wouldn't be going there either.

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

Quoting sxwalke:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)