Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hes been paying me court ordered child support..but now we are moving in together...

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:53 AM
  • 10 Replies

My question is, how should this money be spent once we are all under the same roof??

Summary of the situation... My sons father and I had been split up since I was pregnant. When our son was born I filed for child support and got it. I get $312.00 a month in the form of a debit card, the money is garnished from his check and the card is automatically reloaded twice a month. We got back together and we are going to moving on the 1st of January. I use that money for diapers, clothes, toys, gas for my car, any necessity type things. Once we move in together, how should this money be used? Obviously had we stayed to gether the whole time I wouldnt be gettting this money in this way, and we really will need it for other household expenses too. Im not sure what to do about it. I will say though, I WILL NOT drop the child support case until we get married...How do yall think we should handle this money???

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Proudmommy312
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM

It should be put towards the mortgage/rent, utilities and the children's food, clothes, school.

Amberwavessss
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM

You'll still need diapers and things for the child.  What would you spend it on instead???

mom22tumblebugs
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Continue using it for purchasing items for your child, and not on yourself. Then he also sees where the money that has been garnished is going for his child necessities as child support is supposed to go.

MySpaceMomof3

The main change in expenses would be higher rent and utilities

Quoting Amberwavessss:

You'll still need diapers and things for the child.  What would you spend it on instead???

tsa_momma

As long as your son has all he needs use to rest for household. I agree do not stop it til you are married.

nebcutie
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:57 AM

I would use it the same way you are now. Buying everything for your son. If anything use it to pay some on electric or gas bill but buy everything for your son with it first. That way if things go wrong between you two then he can't say you didn't use it on your son first.

torijadekylie
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:57 AM

You should keep using how you have been using it. your child will still need the same things regardless of the living situation.

greenie63
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:00 AM

OMG are you me? lol  seriously this is where i'm at in my life with my SO!!! Ok my SO pays me court ordered $280 a month (less then yours) but it goes for items for the kids, grocerys, clothes ect. mine is also on a debit card, i love it by the way! he knows that i will never stop it though and he agrees because you never know what can happen. Little advice though, even though you are getting married i'd keep that as is.

Dnjbowen
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:01 AM

I am not sure how this is gonna work, I would think he is gonna have to change is address, and once the support place see's you are living together they are prob. gonna question this... Usually child support is paid when the parents are living in different households, may be different where you are, but I guess IMO if you are gonna continue getting support while he is living with you then you should just use the money for your childs needs and to pay your bills the same as you were before,

greenie63
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM

nope, child support enforcement knows SO are residing in the same house that doesn't change anything. they will not stop it for that reason.

Quoting Dnjbowen:

I am not sure how this is gonna work, I would think he is gonna have to change is address, and once the support place see's you are living together they are prob. gonna question this... Usually child support is paid when the parents are living in different households, may be different where you are, but I guess IMO if you are gonna continue getting support while he is living with you then you should just use the money for your childs needs and to pay your bills the same as you were before,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)