Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GAS BILL HIGH, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:59 AM
  • 10 Replies

OKAY, SO OUR GAS BILL IS LIKE 200 FOR THIS MONTH, VERY HIGH....WE BOUGHT 2 ELECTRIC HEATERS AND TURNED THE GAS HEAT, FURNACE, DOWN, BUT IT'S STILL NOT THAT WARM IN HERE...OF COURSE ITS ONLY 16 DEGREES OUTSIDE AND WE HAD A SNOW AND ICE STORM LAST NIGHT, BUT ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO KEEP IT WARM IN HERE W/OUT THE FURNACE ON? ANY HEATERS THAT WORK? WE HAVE A 3 STORY TOWNHOME, BUT ONLY USE THE TOP 2 FLOORS...SO ANY SUGGESTIONS? WE CANT AFFORD THAT GAS BILL, THATS EXPENSIVE.....HELP PLZ....ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT. THNX.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Those little space heaters get pretty warm.  Heat rises, so maybe if you have electric heaters, get some oscillating fans to blow it around the room.  We have a fan in our room and when our heater kicks on it blows the heat throughout the room.  Also, bundle up like crazy.

~Jill~

SuznF72
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:05 AM

1st of all, get on a budget plan if you are not already.  We are, and we live in northern IL, so we know cold.  We just got out budget plan bill & it was only $83 for a family of 5 and we have pretty much all gas appliances & furnace.

2nd, what I usually do on days like today, it's really cold here...like 3 degrees, literally...is make sure I cook dinner & stuff in the oven, then open the door of the oven when I am done.

Layer up your clothes.  If there is sun coming in a window, open the drapes & let the sun warm the room.

Block off any doors that are not solid doors w/ a blanket or something.  Like we have one of those slatted type doors that leads to our mud porch...I have a blanket hung up covering it.

Hope some of this helps...I know it's hard.

shorty7452
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:05 AM

you should get plastic covers for your windows and those things that go btwn the door and the floor for your front door or any door that leads to outside or put a towel to block any drafts from comming in

MyHotComments.com

rebabeach2
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:06 AM

We had an unusually cold winter one year living down in San Diego. Of course our home was not equipped for cold weather - including not having storm windows (stores don't even sell them down there, heeheehee). So to save us money and keep the draft down, we purchased a roll of that insulated plastic to cover the inside of our windows with. You will need to duct tape it down so it doesn't look too pretty when you're done, but it worked really well. The plastic was maybe about $20 at Home Depot.

awmw06
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:09 AM

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. i WILL DEF. DO THESE SUGGESTIONS..BY THE WAY, i LIVE IN ST LOUIS, SO YEAH, VERY COLD TODAY...THNX MAMAS.

I.R.Rachel
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:13 AM

There is this stuff I found it at walmart it's a plasic cover for your windows (you can do about 10 windows for 10 bucks) You apply the stuff to the window and use a blow dryer to make it stick! Also use towles to block the draft under the doors. Enroll in the budget program too like one of the  PPs said! I have a set rate of $144 a month for both electric and gas. Good Luck!

bjdmom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:18 AM

We turned our heat down to 64. We all adjusted to it. We went from paying $600 a month (that was before propane went up) to around $1300 for the whole winter season.

mom22tumblebugs
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:21 AM

What kind of electric heaters did you buy? The ceramic blower kind? Just in FYI... wait until you see your electric bill... if you thought your gas was high... hooweee!!

This is what I am trying to do... I have oil filled radiator heaters. They are silent and slow to heat up, but when they do it is radiant heat. I use them in the kid's rooms b/c they are smaller rooms. They don't work as well to heat large areas where the heat cannot be contained with a door. It has a thermostat so it turns on and off as needed. And doesn't dry out the already dry air. They also use a double fleece blanket (You know the kind with the tied sides that the kids like to make?)

Knowing the kids will be warm enough even if they kick off the covers, I turn our furnace down REALLY low at night from 8pm-6am to 63 degrees. (We wake at 7am). On our bed I have 2 blankets and the comforter. One of the blankets is a double fleece which we made and is surprisingly warm. (Fleece is on sale right now at the fabric store.) Sometimes I add an extra blanket to my side b/c I am always freezing and my husband is always warm (Men). Some nights if I have been really cold... my husband shakes his head that this...but I have gone to bed with a black fleece hat!! (actually does keep me warmer.. and I pull the front over my eyes and Viola- it's dark!!)

Our heat kicks in at 6am and goes up to 70. During the day I wear a pair of "Cuddle Duds" which are a silky type of long underwear and really does help to keep me warmer, and slippers make a huge difference. The kids don't seem to mind the cold as much as me, but they wear a camisole or t shirt under their clothes, and slippers with a rubber bottom.   

I also use plastic window wrap inside on windows and unneccessary doors. I have two slider doors in my family room and I couldn't believe how much draft is coming through the doors. The plastic actually billows out iintothe room!! I did the same to my fireplace.

MikeysMom51108
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:22 AM

I wish I could help with the gas bill, but I'm in the same situation. My house is extremely drafty and nothing seems to help.

I want to warn you te be careful with the electric heaters though. We had one. It was a newer one with all kinds of safety features. One day, I was using it, and it was working fine. I needed to charge my camera batteries, and I used the plug underneath the one where the heater was plugged in. Good thing I decided to charge the batteries, because when I went to the plug--I saw sparks flying like crazy. I turned off the heater and unplugged it--both the outlet and the plug are burnt pretty bad. Had I not wanted to charge the batteries, I probably wouldn't have noticed and it could have caught fire. So, just be careful!

babybull0601
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Live in Tx so not nearly as cold here but to keep the heat out we bought the thermal curtains.  Works great.  As I said its not as cold but it also keeps the cold breeze that does blow out too.  In the kids room we tacked down the curtain all the way around the window which seems to work to keep the wind completely out.  The rest of the house we just have them up.  lol Normally have the curtains open so we can get some air in here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)