Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms Not Acknowledging Santa

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:35 AM
  • 8 Replies

How did you go about doing this? Did you tell you kids flat out or did you just never really mention him to them?

Why did you decide to not acknowledge Santa but still celebrate Christmas?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
VerucaSallt
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Unfortunately I really never felt I had a choice in the matter.  Between movies, mall santa, and everything else, even if I chose to not acknowledge santa it wouldn't be possible to keep him out of Christmas.  It's not like I would, it's just I doubt there are many ways around it without the kids feeling gyped!!!

petersgal
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:41 AM

we haven't hit that point yet as DD is only 3 months, but I plan on doing what my parents did.  Acknowleding the Santa that we see everywhere today by telling Adeline about the actual St Nicholas, and explaining that the stories of Santa Claus are to carry on the tradition of a good man!  I will make sure she knows some kids believe that the fictional Santa Claus is real, so don't ruin it, but she will know that he is just a representation of the St Nicholas who lived.

And I celebrate b/c Christmas has nothing to do with Santa Claus for us.  It has to do with the birth of Christ and getting together with our families

Mum2Alex
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:42 AM

our kids know about santa, they understand as best they can that it was a real person, but not who gets their gifts.  we make it fun every year, the older kids put on a play for the younger kids with the 'arguing' santa, they dress up like different versions of santa and argue 'whos the right santa' its really cute.  at the end, each santa hands out gifts, but they know its their brother and sister.  when we took them to see santa, one of our younger ones (hes 7) asked santa is he knew where the other santas were so they could have the 'whos teh right santa fight' *lol* it was so cute.

as far as your last part, i dont understand why santa = christmas, christmas is different for everyone, in our family we celebrate family togetherness, charity work, spending time together and being thankful for what we have.

Kays_Mama06
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Quoting VerucaSallt:

Unfortunately I really never felt I had a choice in the matter.  Between movies, mall santa, and everything else, even if I chose to not acknowledge santa it wouldn't be possible to keep him out of Christmas.  It's not like I would, it's just I doubt there are many ways around it without the kids feeling gyped!!!

Yeah.. I ask this question because this morning Kaleb saw Santa on the tv and actually said ho ho ho when we've never really introduced Santa to him... We were just talking about it yesterday about what we'd like to do which is why i'm asking this question. I'm not too fond of fictional characters and neither is DH but I still feel like it would be so hard that they would feel kinda left out... So therefore. This post. lol.

Kays_Mama06
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Quoting petersgal:

we haven't hit that point yet as DD is only 3 months, but I plan on doing what my parents did.  Acknowleding the Santa that we see everywhere today by telling Adeline about the actual St Nicholas, and explaining that the stories of Santa Claus are to carry on the tradition of a good man!  I will make sure she knows some kids believe that the fictional Santa Claus is real, so don't ruin it, but she will know that he is just a representation of the St Nicholas who lived.

And I celebrate b/c Christmas has nothing to do with Santa Claus for us.  It has to do with the birth of Christ and getting together with our families

See call me stupid for 2.5 seconds but I dont even know about the real st. nicholas. It was only Santa Claus before my grandmother killed it for me because that wasn't what Christmas was about since she was uber religious. I have no problems with that but I still feel like the "magic" of Christmas wasn't there for myself like it was for everyone else when I was younger.. Then you realize the real meaning and blah blah blah.. lol.. Im sure i dont need to get into it.

petersgal
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:50 AM

lol I won't call you stupid, a TON of people don't know about St. Nick :) This website has a bunch of good info... it's a bit dry :) my parents always made the stories interesting, but he was basically a Catholic saint who used his inheritance to assist the needy and charities and so forth.  if you want a lot more info this is the site

http://www.stnicholassociety.com/

Quoting Kays_Mama06:

Quoting petersgal:

See call me stupid for 2.5 seconds but I dont even know about the real st. nicholas. It was only Santa Claus before my grandmother killed it for me because that wasn't what Christmas was about since she was uber religious. I have no problems with that but I still feel like the "magic" of Christmas wasn't there for myself like it was for everyone else when I was younger.. Then you realize the real meaning and blah blah blah.. lol.. Im sure i dont need to get into it.

Kays_Mama06
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Aha. That's why I know nothing about it. lol. My grandmother (whom raised me) was not Catholic and she didn't like anything Catholics did. When my mom (before she passed) baptized me Catholic, she about had a heart attack in her late 40s.

Quoting petersgal:

lol I won't call you stupid, a TON of people don't know about St. Nick :) This website has a bunch of good info... it's a bit dry :) my parents always made the stories interesting, but he was basically a Catholic saint who used his inheritance to assist the needy and charities and so forth.  if you want a lot more info this is the site

http://www.stnicholassociety.com/

Quoting Kays_Mama06:

Quoting petersgal:

dragonfly24
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:57 AM

We have always acknowledged Santa. My 10yr old just recently gave him up. I love the magic I think kids have plenty of time to discover the miserable realities of the world to not allow them some magic as kids. I loved Santa as a kid and don't remember when I quit believing in him I was probably about my sons age. I wanted my kids to have that magic and excitement and they do.

TIA(31)  DH(38) T-MAN (10) T-BONE (5) LAYLA BUG 08-25-2008!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)