Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

this is frickin ridiculous!

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:02 AM
  • 11 Replies

First, let me explain why I am bringing this up. My DH's co-worker (who is a really nice guy by the way, he comes over a pretty good bit) is an alcoholic. I'm not much of an alcohol drinker, but to each thier own I guess. Anyways, last night DH and I laid down at about 10. At 1, my DD woke up so I tried to get her back to sleep. While I was doing that I heard a loud truck pull up in our driveway, so I looked out the bedroom window and it was too dark to really see, I woke up DH and as soon as I did his cell phone rung. It was DH's co-worker, who was with his new girlfriend (who happens to be my cousin that I have only met like three or four times,  long story there) and he said that his gf needed to use our bathroom. So DH knowing they were drunk went ahead got clothes on and let them in. I tried to get them to stay here because they could barely stand up, but they left quickly.

Anyways, this morning my dad (who is the owner of the company DH works for) called and told DH that Chris (DH's co worker was arrested again for DUI, and that if he would come by my dad's house he would give him the money to bail him out. DH just called, and his bail was only $800.00. THIS IS THE GUY'S FOURTH DUI IN TWO YEARS! I know he has gone to court, and last time he was made to do 24 hours of community service.

This is a touchy subject for me because my best friend from high school was killed by a drunk driver...Shouldn't the punishment be more harsh, since obviously him staying in jail until he sobers up isn't doing anything to make him stop? Do they really want to wait until he DOES kill someone, or himself? It really annoys me when people are so selfish that they get behind a wheel to drive...I'm just really frustrated, our judicial system is all screwed up.  I guess we will see what he gets this time at his court date, which probably won't be until the end of Jan. or beginning of Feb.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Patty24momof5
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:08 AM

YEAH I THINK IT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE IN SOME STATES IVE SEEN PEOPLE GET LOTS OF DUIS AND NO JAIL TIME-AND OTHERS YOU GET IT AFTER 1 TIME-I THINK IT SHOULD BE THE FIRST TIME,I WOULDNT BAIL THE GUY OUT,HE NEEDS TO LEARN AND HED BE STAYING RIGHT THERE IF IT WERE UP TO ME.

DEDICATED DOLLS WEIGHT LOSS AND TONING (Just click here on the name to join!)WE HAVE CHALLENGES,WEIGHINS,PICS,MEASUREMENTS,AND DIET TIPS AND INFO!

heartsandskulls
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:11 AM

what state are you in? before i met my so, he had a horrible drinking problem and now has 4 duis..he has had his license suspended for a few yrs.. he can get it back in 2011. The last time he got caught, he had 6 months jail time, mandatory drug/alchol treatment, got his drivers license suspended and had probabtion for a yr.  he has gotten help now, and is able to have a few drinks in the evening and not have to get shi*face drunk like he used to. im sorry your in this situation and it has got to be hard since he is a co-worker/friend of your husband... hopefully something will happen when he goes to court.

keke0507
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Yeah I am pissed that my dad did give my DH money to bail him out, I guess they needed him to work. But if spending a night here and there isn't working, then he needs some punishment more serious.

Quoting Patty24momof5:

YEAH I THINK IT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE IN SOME STATES IVE SEEN PEOPLE GET LOTS OF DUIS AND NO JAIL TIME-AND OTHERS YOU GET IT AFTER 1 TIME-I THINK IT SHOULD BE THE FIRST TIME,I WOULDNT BAIL THE GUY OUT,HE NEEDS TO LEARN AND HED BE STAYING RIGHT THERE IF IT WERE UP TO ME.

DEDICATED DOLLS WEIGHT LOSS AND TONING (Just click here on the name to join!)WE HAVE CHALLENGES,WEIGHINS,PICS,MEASUREMENTS,AND DIET TIPS AND INFO!

keke0507
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:13 AM

I'm in Alabama. I just want to see the laws more strict on this kind of stuff!

Quoting heartsandskulls:

what state are you in? before i met my so, he had a horrible drinking problem and now has 4 duis..he has had his license suspended for a few yrs.. he can get it back in 2011. The last time he got caught, he had 6 months jail time, mandatory drug/alchol treatment, got his drivers license suspended and had probabtion for a yr.  he has gotten help now, and is able to have a few drinks in the evening and not have to get shi*face drunk like he used to. im sorry your in this situation and it has got to be hard since he is a co-worker/friend of your husband... hopefully something will happen when he goes to court.

autumns_mom22
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Unfortanutely that is how it works here. I know my grandma has had way to many DUI's and was never arrested. I guess she even almost killed some guy, blamed it on him and still didn't go to jail. I worked in a prison in medical and some of the guys were like on their 8th DUI before they received jail time. It's stupid. First time they do it should be thrown in prison in my opinion. And some of them never take responsibility. There was one guy who killed all but one person in a family on Christmas eve because he was drunk and was on the wrong side of the road. His alcohol level was way over limit and says he had a migrane and to this day fights his jail time. UGH!!!

CarlandTsMama
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:15 AM

My cousin was killed by a drunk driver last year. It was early afternoon when the accident occured. From what I understand the man was finally charged 5 months after the accident. This wasn't his first drunk driving arrest. The man was hurt very badly in the accident (severe leg wounds, blind, has to have a breathing tube) they really don't know if he will make it either. They need to send first time offenders to jail for a LONG time with no bail options.

Here is the article

A man injured in a 2007 fatal collision has been charged with felony driving under the influence resulting in death, according to the S.C. Highway Patrol. Randall Melton, 45, was also charged with driving under suspension and being a habitual traffic offender as he was preparing to be released from a local hospital.

The Nov. 3 crash killed Christy Lyn Cox White, 26, of Mooresboro, N.C.

Alcohol was suspected in the collision from the beginning, and Melton had been hospitalized ever since. Murray Glenn, spokesman for the 7th Circuit Solicitor's Office, said a magistrate judge held a bond hearing for Melton on Tuesday at the Spartanburg Hospital for Restorative Care and issued a $51,000 surety bond, which included the condition of wearing an alcohol-monitoring device. Glenn said Melton could not be placed in the county jail because his medical condition remains serious and could not be accommodated by the detention facility.

It was unclear Tuesday evening whether he had been placed on house arrest instead. White's mother, Harriett Crisp of Pauline, went to the hospital Tuesday and later said waiting for the official charges made for a difficult time.

"It has been a long waiting process, a lot of heartache and a lot of pain," Crisp said. "We felt he wasn't behind bars, so he's had his family for five months. My daughter's gone."

According to the State Law Enforcement Division, Melton has been convicted of multiple traffic-related offenses in the past, including driving under the influence and at least three counts of driving under suspension.

According to Highway Patrol information released last year, Melton crashed his 1996 Buick head-on into White's 2003 Dodge van on Highway 11 near Peachtree Road. White's two sons, aged 2 and 6, were in the vehicle and not injured. They are being raised by their father, John White.

shorty7452
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:44 AM

bump

MyHotComments.com

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:47 AM

well, i used to work in a jail, and in my jail, the bail was higher on a 4th dui, and as a matter of fact, it was a felony.

sometimes the officer dont check, and charges them with a misdemeanor. well, when the CO's ran their rap sheet and DMV, if they had prior deuces, the arresting officer was notified, and they returned to jail to upgrade to the felony deuce.

if not, the court upgraded it to felony at that stage in the process.

bad_santa_drunk.jpg

Marci81
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:49 AM
Jeeze! That's nuts. I had a good friend (best friend at the time) nearly killed by a drunk 18 year old. It's sad that your state laws haven't been changed. Sadly, it will probably take someone losing their life to get things changed.
jaedynmoon
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Yah it's crazy how they just let people rack up DUI'S...it's like they usually don't do anythiing severe for those people until they kill or hurt someone...and then it's too late  :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)