Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how hot would you allow your house to get?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:06 PM
  • 26 Replies

Hi ladies! My dh and I were argueing about how hot is too hot. We live in a mobile home, and all our heat comes from electric heaters. We have 4 electric heaters, basically one in each room. I understand it gets cold here in Colorado, and we run at least 2 of the heaters all the time. But when we wake up in the morning after having all the heaters on all night, it is 85 to 90 degress in here! I consider that too hot, so I  turn 2 of the 4 heaters off and it still stays between 70 and 80. Thats plenty warm enough to me, but my husband complains it is too cold and asks me to turn back on all the heaters. Yuck, I hate it when its too hot in here, and I try to conserve our electricity cause our bill already runs us 300 and some dollars a month.

My dh is from Texas, and I am from here, which is Colorado. I assume thats why he wants it so hot, cause he is used to it. but isnt 85 to 90 degress too hot?

PS: I really know how hot it is inside cause we have a temperature gauge inside, so that is helpfull

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ohmsgrace05
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:08 PM

I keep my house between 70-75 degrees in the winter. 

Have someone check yalls insulation... when the insulation is bad it can cause your bill to sky rocket..your landlord (if you rent) could replace some things to make it more energy efficient

desnnatesmom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:09 PM

we keep it 70 or 75

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:10 PM

That is way too hot.  I wouldn't let it get over 72 degrees.  If he is cold, tell him to get more clothes on because it is cheaper.  Have you thought about putting plastic on the windows in the winter.  It will help retain the heat and save you some money.  Also, many areas have programs that may help you "winterize" your home depending on your income or whatever criteria they have. 

LeaveIt2Gena
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:10 PM

I live in Texas now and though we have only had a few days of extreme cold, I still keep our home between 70 and 75 degrees. That's just fine for me. 80 degrees is a bit much. The temperature of the human body is 98.6, and you can easilly get overheated.

bastianmami
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:12 PM

That is waay too hot IMO, we keep ours around 68. But we have wood heat so sometimes it will get really really hot in here. Like when we're baking or we dry clothes.

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become real."
                                                                                  -The Velveteen Rabbit.

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Wow that is hot. My hubby would kill me if i put our hosue that hot. Hes from TX too and hates the heat. We normally keep it around 75 or so. Im supprised your hosue cost that much to eat. i have a 1250sq house and it doesn't ever get over 200. most of the time its around 150 for our bill. I'd check to make sure your windows are drafty and waht not.

missamanda86
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:13 PM

I have a wood stove for the kitchen/living room area of the house, and it can get upwards of 80* and we have electric baseboard heaters in each of the three bedrooms, and those are set at 70*

mom22tumblebugs
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Wow! Your husband wants it hot??? I would love it if it were 85-90 in here. We have central air and our thermostat doesn't go above 72. We have it on 63 at night.

25beengoodtome
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:13 PM

We keep ours set @ 72 during the days, 67 @ night.

jessicafawn76
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:17 PM

In the winter we keep ours set at 72 at night and during the day i tend to keep it around 70.. But i cant stand it getting to hot in here...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)