Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Something is wrong here....

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

I work for a large hospital in NJ. In NJ there has been legislation passed that allows an addition 12 weeks after your own disability ends form childbirth, to care for your newborn. This leave has been granted to other people in my hospital, but for some reason I have been fighting with HR and they refuse to give it to me, even though they know legally they are wrong. Essentially I have been told, in similar words, "Go ahead and sue us, we know you can't afford it." And guess what? I can't afford it. It sucks. It sucks that I am being discriminated against, it sucks that the people with money can do whatever they want to the little people, and it sucks that my son is the one paying for it. I called a lawyer and they want 3500 up front. So basically I have to just eat the fact that the little guy always loses. I don't know what to do, and I've been crying all day.

What's wrong with this system?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
liddellmama
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:12 PM

can you go to your local news about this? here in san diego one of our local news channels has a laywer that would help fight stuff like this and they would make news segments about it as payment. you know what i mean like instead of paying you agree to have your story on tv .

northernmommy
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Check with legal aid, they may be able to help you.

babies

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Aislinn
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:14 PM

I would start calling attorneys. SOMEONE will take on your case pro bono, I am sure.

Kchambers
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:16 PM

I can help you... pm me!!!

Karina

Proud Air Force Wife, Boricua, Pa' Que Tu Lo Sepas!!!. Breastfeeding, Vaxing, Spanking, CIO, Co-Sleeping, Circumsizing, Pro-Choice, Extremely Liberal, Recycling, Animal Lover Mother Of 2 and 1 On The Way!!!

richgirljj
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:16 PM

If it's a law, then someone is in violation, and you don't need a lawyer.  Contact the office that made the law and report them.

But, why aren't they granting you the leave that the law says that they have to give you?  Do you not meet all the qualifications?  Like for FMLA - you have to have been employed for a minimum of 12 months and have worked a certain number of hours. 

desnnatesmom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:27 PM

that's f****up what an effing a***** h***** sorry for the bad words =P we'll start calling people and do something about it! i'm sure someone is gonna help you!!!!! good luck !!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)