Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you feel?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:07 PM
  • 19 Replies

Ok so i just turned 21 today!  I am not a big drinker i was when i was younger but i was being young and dumb.  I have two kids and i never go out anywhere.  Well my bestfriends told me that they want to take me out friday for my birthday to this comedy club and then to the bar across the street.  Well i think it would be fun and i asked my husband if he would go and he says no and your not going either.  I said ok why.  He says well for one its a rough bar "supposedly one of his friends told him this"  and he said he was thinking about taking me there until this guy said this.  Well ok i get that then lets go somewhere else.  He says bars arent for ladys only trashy people...Im like WTF??? So you were going to take me then you decide its for trashy people yea ok!  We have been to bars in the past his mom has been to bars everyone has been to bars and all the sudden its trashy???  So he wants me to tell them that i can go somewhere different but not there!  I am furious!  And on my birthday he wants to act like this??? What would you do ???

pregnancydate=10/21/2008&ticker=1">Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
haydensmomma24
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I would probablly compromise. Maybe just dont go to that bar, go to another bar. Hope everything works out.  BTW...happy birthday

~Ashley~ 

Group owner of Northaven Elementary Group- Come join us!!!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/neseagles

abbysmom621
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:12 PM

I know how that goes! I don't know on the advice cause I usually just call my friends and be like "ok I can't go have fun you guys." But thats me and I am sorry this happened on your birthday. At least he probably remembered yours... But go with what you want to do... You are grown and no one can make you do what you don't want to but I know it's hard....

ceashell707
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:13 PM

I spent 13 years with a man that use to say the same kinda things to me.  I allowed it.  Now, I never allow anyone, not even my NEW husband to tell me where I can go.  I'd do what you want to.

Tell him his concerns are noted but your a big girl and can take care of yourself.

pncthomas
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Sounds a bit controlling to me.  If he is going with you, then he should have no problems with you going to a bar.  And to be honest, the "dive bars" always seem to be the most fun.  I would tell him that he will not ruin this for you.  Either he is going or not, but you are.

P.S.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

kids stockingProud momma to Nolan and wifey to P.J.!

sethsmom25
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:17 PM

First off, my hubby would never say i couldn't go somewhere unless it was really unsafe, which i can understand....but if he is just saying that because he doesn't want you to go, i'd say too bad...it's your birthday. 

tvlandmom59
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:21 PM

First of all, why do you have to get his permission to go out anywhere???

I would tell him that you're all grown up and he isn't your dad and you will be going.  Period!

jennie300
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:26 PM

i would tell him to kiss my a$$,im a grown women and if i want to go out 1 night with my friends,i sure will.he is trying to control you,and no person should have to be controlled by another.i am lucky,me and my husband give each other space,we trust each other,thats why we have lasted so long. good luck,and happy birthday

raegansmom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:26 PM

I would say, if this is the first time he has ever said you are "not allowed" to do something than he probably is looking out for your well being-I know my dh worries about every little thing when he is not with me ( I have to constantly remind him that I am a big girl & I can handle things).  But if this is a pattern with him, then you have a problem.

dresmommary
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:28 PM

agree

Quoting pncthomas:

Sounds a bit controlling to me.  If he is going with you, then he should have no problems with you going to a bar.  And to be honest, the "dive bars" always seem to be the most fun.  I would tell him that he will not ruin this for you.  Either he is going or not, but you are.

P.S.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Proudmommy312
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Quoting tvlandmom59:

First of all, why do you have to get his permission to go out anywhere???

I would tell him that you're all grown up and he isn't your dad and you will be going.  Period!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)