Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

walking on toes

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

My DS is 9 1/2 months old and when he takes steps in his walker or with our help he starts out walking on his toes and then he will walk normal. My question is that normal? Thanks in advance!

happy halloweencornucopiawreathhappy new year

My Leap Year Baby's 1st holidays!!!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hurleydoll18
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I believe it is normal.  Even when many children start walking they will walk on their toes but it doesn't last

aidensmom1117
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM

when my son would walk along the coffe table he would walk on his toes! and still every once in a while He will still walk on his toes! I figure if he likes it and it isn't hurting him, he's fine! Plus he's working out his calf muscles!

julionna_lion
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM

That is normal. Just watch and make sure that it doesnt hurt him to walk normally....that could be a sign of some sort of foot problem (umm...something to do with the arch...)

jbirchard
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:54 PM

totally normal.

mamabeth4180
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Yes it is normal. Part of the reason they tell you not to have them in shoes all the time when they are learning how to walk, is because they need to feel the ground to figure out how to walk flat foot, and it helps their balance. It is normal until they have been ealking for a little bit, if it continues after that, then you should talk to the doc, but chances are it won't ;)

JustCallMe_♥Bethy♥_. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

jmom470
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:26 PM

I've seen 2 yr olds walk like that. I think it's normal.

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:28 PM

as long as he is capiable  of putting his foot down then its normal.

Because i love my little girl  Because yes i am Bipolar

Because Trisomy 18 Has affected my life For my grandfather (lung cancer)

for my mother in law For my aunt

Pink and Blue because infants deserve to be remembered too

WHAT COLORS ARE IN YOUR LIFE?

lovebugs_mom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:38 PM

My daughter was doing this when she was about 18 months old or so. It was just a phase that she went through. She walks and runs with the best of them!

Quoting jmom470:

I've seen 2 yr olds walk like that. I think it's normal.

much2learn
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:41 PM

both of my kids spent a lot of time on their toes.  I'm told that I and my siblings also walked around on our toes a lot.  Perfectly natural for some, I think.

Lynn

MommyJewell
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:46 PM

its normal for them to first walk on their toes. so long as they are able to also walk regulsrly as well. when they get older and still walk on their toes ( 3 or 4) you might want to look into a possible doctor visit. hubby walked on his toes all the ime as a child. he had surgery done to extend his tendons. but he couldn't put his foot down at all. you little one can so you should be fine. jsut encourage him to walk with his foot down.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)