Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old is too old?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:27 PM
  • 29 Replies

My daughter is almost 5 months old and I am still breastfeeding her.  I was hoping to do so till she is one.  But when I see babys that are 10/11/12 months old....I think that they look too old/big to breastfeed.  

So how long did you breastfeed your children?  And how old do you think too old is?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TygerLily62
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:29 PM

I bf'd till 5 months, I would have liked to until a year.  I would say that I would stop at two years if I could last that long.

jaytee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:30 PM

It is recommended to BF til the age of two i think and i think that is good.

Quoting TygerLily62:

I bf'd till 5 months, I would have liked to until a year.  I would say that I would stop at two years if I could last that long.

SunshineSmiles
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:31 PM

too old, i think would be up to the breastfeeding mom to decide.. i have a 2y/o that i still nurse to sleep and i see nothing wrong with it.. although lots of people like to talk crap.. i could honetly careless what anyone thought :)

pregnancy
tippymorgan08
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:32 PM

I don't believe that anyone should follow the standard that you should only breastfeed until one. I don't follow what the mainstream people say. It is well known that breastmilk is the best food that your child will ever receive, and I don't knock any woman who breastfeeds their child for an extended period of time.

Our son is 4 months old and I plan on letting him self wean. Whether he be 2 or 3, it doesn't matter. I don't think I will go past 3 years of age, but that's how I feel about it, but I won't stop just because he turns one, just as I won't turn his car seat to the front because he turns one. That is just a minimum given, it doesn't mean that it's the best thing to do.

theatregirl26
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:33 PM

I am 17 weeks pregnant and have a 2 1/2 year old daughter.  She stopped right before I got pregnant.  She liked it, but finally grew out of it.  She weened herself.  So it is totally up to you.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

pregnancy week by week
4LifeTupperware
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:34 PM

after age of two is to old... but all the ped docs are now saying to BF until the age of 2, and to EBF until the age of 1 and then start feeding cereal and things.

wreath   baby 1stholiday christmas treeholding ornaments

Melanie, Wife for 14 years and a Mom, to 13 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 10 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 10 months old, and two angel babies we lost early on in there tiny life's. Co-Mama to a little Girl that lives in Kenya, and Tupperware Consultant!   "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last."          

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:35 PM

I bfed dd till she was 10 weeks, I was devistated, my goal was 6 months and anything after that would be heaven!  My ultimate time frame was 1 year old though.  That's when they can start eating regular food.  My youngest nephew was just recently broken from the breast at 2 (only night time feedings for quite a while).  It was hard to say no to him but she just had to.  DD is 13 months now and I don't see how I could have made it to a year, they understand so much and can come right up to you and lift your shirt trying to get to it so I don't know how long I would have lasted.  Kudos to you for making it this long, hope you find your stopping point that you are comfortable with!

missamanda86
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:36 PM

I weaned my DD when she was 13 months....and i personally will not BF past 18 months if i ever make it that far with another child....just my personal feelings on it

much2learn
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:36 PM

a question best answered by each nursing pair.  A year was long enough for me, but it ended up being 13 months with my oldest, and 16 months with my youngest.   I can't really imagine continuing after age 2, but maybe that's just me.

Lynn

Brooke501
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:36 PM

My neice breastfed her little one for 6 months and then her baby weined herself. I think if the child is in preschool ( age 3 or 4) it is time to put the udder to rest. But that is just how I would do it with my kids. If it works better for others to nurse longer then it works for them to nurse longer. I would never tell another mom that her child is too old to be breast feeding still no matter how old the child is. It is not my business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)