Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nosey apartment manager..What should I do?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

So I have been in my apartment since july 1st. I have had no complaint's and no problems with any of my neighbors or managers here...Well my BIL has been coming over to hang out when my DH gets home for work..One night he left and and then slept in his car in our parking lot since it was storming really bad outside..We had already turned off our cell phones and our son was sleeping so he didnt want to knock on our door to come back in at 10 pm...The next morning managment is knocking on the door saying my BIL was sleeping in the parking lot smoking weed, that she had been watching him the majority of the night. She could see him Empting his pipe to pack more weed. I have no clue where she was spying from, but she was totally right about what she saw..I WAS PISSED OFF at him...that wa sour first complaint...So now my BIL stayed the night last night due to BAD STORM WEATHER(he lives 40 miles in the country we are in town). Everything is fine..He leaves at 7 :30 with DH and then my manager knocks on my door around 9:30 this mornining saying BIL is parked infront of her apartment since 7:45 this mornign, smoking and hanging out with "cranksters". My BIL is not a crankster:) She said he needed to leave before she called the police on him..I thought, well go ahead then lady.....She said it was a warning for me to get him off the property.....So I called DH he was upset that his BIL was there but  couldn't do anything since he was at work 30 miles away..I called My BIL to tell him what I heard and that he needed to leave.  He seriously Flipped out on me..Told me to call my F-in manager and tell her she is a B and this and that..I hung up on him..DISRESPECTFUL.... Then he calls me and leaves a voicemail apopogizing for yelling at me that my manager has it out for him and he was doing nothing wrong visiting another one of his friends apartments in my complex..His story was he parked his car at his friends apartment ans went inside at 7;45 this morning...Either way I dont care. I just feel like my manager is wathcing every little thing. She also complained that my BIL runs up and down the stairs TOO much in the middle of the night...(he has only stayed here those 2 times and last night he didnt go out past 10 pm...What can I do in this situation because she has NO right to choose who can visit my apartment and who can't...and when I open my door to talk to her she has to look around at everyhting she can glance at in her distance...Im just annoyed and venting I guess...What would you do? I dont want to say somehting I shouldn't..I kinda just want to let it go too.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
raegansmom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Well, I work for a property management company & if I saw someone doing drugs in the parking lot-I would have the cops there SO FAST.  And yes, I would keep a closer eye on that apt for quite a while.  I don't know what to tell you?  I know you were not the one doing drugs, but he was there to see you so from the apt manager point of view you are guilty by association.  Whether that's right or wrong....just another point of view for you.

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:06 PM

I wouldn't invite him back over. I wouldn't want someone like him hanging out where I lived....

sounds like she is doing her job by keep the area cleaned up of riff raf.

lrj42685
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:07 PM

I see the managers pov too... i mean she has to protect other residents imagine if your bil was your nextdoor neighbors bil instead and he was smoking weed in the parking lot and the other things you admit he did. wouldnt you want the manager to do something.

Kenzie_Maher
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:08 PM

If I were your apartment manager, I'd probably be watching you a little more closely as well. If drugs weren't involved, it probably wouldn't be an issue (at least if I were your apartment manager), but the fact that he had drugs on the premises (the premesis that SHE is responsible for) might give her more reason to assure the behavior doesn't continue. It's a bummer that you have to go through this because the actions of your BIL were not your choice. :( Just try to keep doing the right thing and assure your apartment manager that you have talked with your BIL about the drugs, but that you can't prevent him from visiting other friends that live in the same apartment complex. Also tell her that while he is your guest, you can't control what he does before or after he visits your apartment because he's not a child and you're not his mother.

mandy716
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Sorry you are going through this, but I think she can in some ways tell you who you can have visit.  If he was smoking weed (and I believe you said he was) well that is illegal and she could have called the cops and had them take care of it.  However, she decided to tell you all so that you could confront him about it.  Im not sure if that was the right approach, but I would surely tell him to stop doing it around there period. 

Yeah it kind of sounds like she has it out for him (maybe).  But as the manager of an apartment complex it is her job to make sure that she as well as all the other residents are safe and comfortable.  If I walked out of my apartment at 10 at night and saw a man, that does not live there, sitting in his car and smkoing weed, you sure as hell better believe that I would call the manager.  She has to make sure people are not exposed to this stuff if she is a good manager. 

magenta2325
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Agree Sorry
Quoting lrj42685:

I see the managers pov too... i mean she has to protect other residents imagine if your bil was your nextdoor neighbors bil instead and he was smoking weed in the parking lot and the other things you admit he did. wouldnt you want the manager to do something.

SaturnsFire
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Ahh thank you for putting it in that light for me.  You are right she is just doing her job :) 

deeder79
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Kinda sounds like your BIL is a burn-out from what you've said and I can kinda see where the apt manager is coming from.  He doesn't sound like the kind of person I'd want in my neighborhood.

And honestly, I think that the apt mgr can have a say in who is in/around your apartment, it's technically THEIR property and you are just "borrowing" it from them.

Best of luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)