Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Infidelity Statistics

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

I got these. Thought I would post it for all of the infidelity conversations we've been having today. Found it here.

Infidelity Statistics

Below are compiled statistics on infidelity and marriage:

Percentage of marriages that end in divorce in America: 53%

Percentage of "arranged marriages" (where parents pick their sons or daughters spouses) that end in divorce: 3%

Medical field(s) with the highest divorce rate: psychiatrists and marriage counselors

Percentage of marriages where one or both spouses admit to infidelity, either physical or emotional: 41%

Percentage of men who admit to committing infidelity in any relationship they've had: 57%

Percentage of women who admit to committing infidelity in any relationship they've had: 54%

Percentage of men and women who admit to having an affair with a co-worker: 36%

Percentage of men and women who admit to infidelity on business trips: 36%

Percentage of men and women who admit to infidelity (emotional or physical) with a brother-in-law or sister-in-law: 17%

Average length of an affair: 2 years

Percentage of marriages that last after an affair has been admitted to or discovered: 31%

Percentage of men who say they would have an affair if they knew they would never get caught: 74%

Percentage of women who say they would have an affair if they knew they would never get caught: 68%

jigsaw ribbongreen ribbongay pride ribbonteal ribbon

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajswenson
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Wow, I hate thinking about these things....I grew up in a household where everyone had another someone on the side.  I used to be a horrible person myself when it came to infidelity....but since I've met my husband and been with him, I can't even imagine it.  He doesn't understand why sometimes I freak out at the thought of him cheating....and I'm like "HELLO have you seen the statistics!!!!"  I don't think he would ever do that to me, but when you grow up around it, and see these reports, it makes you wonder....am I naive for trusting??? but how can you have a good marriage if you are constantly worrying???? I know I'm not the only one who thinks these things....the sister/brother cheating part was real messed up!!!

TraceNspace
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:08 PM

I love the Stat about psychiatrist and marriage counselors having the highest rate of divorce in the medical field. It's sad but still funny.

Kays_Mama06
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Quoting TraceNspace:

I love the Stat about psychiatrist and marriage counselors having the highest rate of divorce in the medical field. It's sad but still funny.

I was just about to say... how ironic. lol.

athenax3
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:09 PM

That actually made sense to me, lol. Like roofers always having a leaky roof or mechanics with a terrible car. They see it all day, day in and day out and I would guess it leaves little for them to put into thier own relationships...maybe?

Quoting TraceNspace:

Kays_Mama06
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:12 PM

That's true... Or they put too much of their work into their relationships and the other party just wants to lead a normal life without work getting involved.. Does that make sense?

Quoting athenax3:

That actually made sense to me, lol. Like roofers always having a leaky roof or mechanics with a terrible car. They see it all day, day in and day out and I would guess it leaves little for them to put into thier own relationships...maybe?

Quoting TraceNspace:

athenax3
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:13 PM

yeah, plus listening to what horrible things other people do all day is bound to make you a bit suspicious or cynical yourself.

Quoting Kays_Mama06:

That's true... Or they put too much of their work into their relationships and the other party just wants to lead a normal life without work getting involved.. Does that make sense?

Quoting athenax3:

Quoting TraceNspace:

TraceNspace
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Yep. My parents were cheaters. My brother cheated early on in his marriage and they worked it out. And I myself have not been entirely faithful and we've gone to counseling and worked it out. I think it happens a lot more often than people think but also that we all tend to repeat our parents behaviors if we're not careful.

Quoting ajswenson:

Wow, I hate thinking about these things....I grew up in a household where everyone had another someone on the side.  I used to be a horrible person myself when it came to infidelity....but since I've met my husband and been with him, I can't even imagine it.  He doesn't understand why sometimes I freak out at the thought of him cheating....and I'm like "HELLO have you seen the statistics!!!!"  I don't think he would ever do that to me, but when you grow up around it, and see these reports, it makes you wonder....am I naive for trusting??? but how can you have a good marriage if you are constantly worrying???? I know I'm not the only one who thinks these things....the sister/brother cheating part was real messed up!!!

TraceNspace
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM

OH! I should mention, cuz it's funny.............

When my brother had an affair it was with  a marriage counselor! Not his at least.......

Quoting Kays_Mama06:

Quoting TraceNspace:

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Me 2!

Quoting TraceNspace:

athenax3
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Now that's interesting!

Quoting TraceNspace:

OH! I should mention, cuz it's funny.............

When my brother had an affair it was with  a marriage counselor! Not his at least.......

Quoting Kays_Mama06:

Quoting TraceNspace:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)