Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Presents!!!!

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:23 PM
  • 120 Replies

What is the point of presents for Christmas? Isn't Christmas all about the birth of Jesus? So why do all the kids around the world recieve presents? Are we assuming that one of them is the next messiah?

If it is Jesus' birthday give the gifts to him, this is why Christmas has no religious meaning anymore!!!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:23 PM
Replies (1-10):
sethsmom25
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Yes, i agree that the whole meaning of Christmas is the birth of Jesus Christ, and that is what i will teach my son, however i do believe it is also a time for giving, and by giving gifts (and receiving), you are teaching good values to your children.  Next year (and for all the following years), i will have my son pick out a nice toy and then we will donate it to Toys for Tots.

jaedynmoon
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I thought Jesus wasn't born on Christmas....I know we celebrate it as such but it isn't his real birthday....correct me if I am wrong

Before I get bashed...YES I believe in God and will teach my children...but I didn't here about that till a few years ago so I don't have all the info on that

mymaddiegrl2
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:27 PM

mommyslate
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Jesus wasn't born on Christmas

I'm agnostic so it's a holiday for my family and I to get together and celebrate with a pretty tree and gifts that happens to be called Christmas.  That's MY reason, doesn't have to be anyone else's.

Quoting jaedynmoon:

I thought Jesus wasn't born on Christmas....I know we celebrate it as such but it isn't him real birthday....correct me if I am wrong

MikeysMom51108
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:28 PM

I guess it depends on who you are and how you were raised.

I wasn't raised to celebrate Christmas as Jesus' birthday. I was raised to celebrate Christmas as a day to spend with family and give gifts.

I.R.Rachel
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:29 PM

rolling on floor

Quoting mymaddiegrl2:

mommybug77

No in my eyes it is not his birthday. It never held a religious meaning for me nor will it ever

mommy2holley

My family and I have never celebrated as Jesus bday.. Plus I love to give gifts to my daughter so yeah.

Juann25
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Well since we aren't religious people we don't think of Christmas the same way others do.

bphockeymom20
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:30 PM

k, I think that Christmas is a time of giving, I understand where you are coming from though I am not religious, but I love seeing my kids faces Christmas morning when they open their gifts. It makes me feel good to give to others and thats just how it should be. I haven't gotten any gifts in quite a while, and I don't really care, but I still give everyone I know gifts at Christmas even though I have a limited amount of money. I also think that it is nice to have holidays to get together with family and celebrate what we do have. I am personally thankful to whoever started the idea of gift giving on Christmas, I look forward to it all year.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)