Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I work, or do I stay home?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM
  • 64 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do? Stay home or go back to work?

Options:

Stay home

Go back to work

Other (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 115

View Results

The other day my husband tells me that I should go and get a part time job so that I can help out with the money situation. Which I'm on the fence about. I know it would help a lot if I found a part time job somewhere and we could save up for house projects we would like to do and pay off some loans, and it would help put us in a better situation. But my husband makes enough money for us to live off of fairly comfortably, and allows for me to be able to stay home with our son. And I LOVE being able to spend time with my baby everyday, and watching him grow and learn new things. I don't want to just drop him off at my MIL's house every week. I feel like I would miss so much. He just turned a year old and he's learning new things every day and it just makes me want to cry at the thought that I would miss something. My husbandgets pride out of being able to provide for his family, and he really likes his job. I on the other hand, don't really have any skills in the work place that I can actually put to work. I had a job a few years ago that gave me carpel tunnel and even though i haven't worked in about 2 years I still have problems with my hands and wrists. So I don't really know what kind of work I could even do really, besides some mindless retail job, that I know I will probably hate! I don't want my husband to feel like he needs to work two jobs, because really we're fine with his main income, but I know it would really help a lot to have a little more coming in. I want to help with the finances, and stuff, but I really want to stay home with my baby... I keep going back and forth on it... I don't know what to do?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:51 PM

really only you can answer that. I went back to work because we need 2 incomes to pay the bills in my house, but I also want to work, I am not cut out to be a sahm

chopped headBecky

Sarcasm is just one of the services I offer!

Pixie061684
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:54 PM

most families cant really survive let alone do waht they want to do with their kids on one salary so i say go back to work.  Just get a job on a different shift than him so you can take turns watching the kiddo(s) and you wont need a sitter, and you will both get some much needed regular adult interaction.  I'm doing it and yes its harder than staying home but when i get my mommy-time-out and i can pay for fun things with the kid its worth it.

-Aimee

Sirenabella

Have you tried looking into the various work from home things? I haven't found one that works for me but maybe one would work for you.

anetrnlov

I would go back to work.  It is only part time.  I would feel guilty knowing that I was preventing my family to be in a better place because I was afraid I would miss something that one of my kids did.

dfearless
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:55 PM
If your hubby is asking you to help the family finacially,I think you should help. I've been a SAHM and am now a working mom. I understand your longing to continue to be home with your child, but I would not hesitate to work if that's what my hubby needed me to do.
pncthomas
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Yes, this is truly only a question you and hubby can answer.  If I was a SAHM and DH asked me to get a PT job or even a FT job, then I would do it.  It was hard for me to go back to work after maternity leave, but you get into the swing of it.  Maybe your DH feels like he could really use some help bringing in some money.  Maybe he wants to do some extra fun activites that can be done only if there was extra money.  I think he needs to know exactly how you feel and you need to understand why he is asking this of you.  Good luck, momma.

kids stockingProud momma to Nolan and wifey to P.J.!

ABMommy
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Advertise and start watching a child or two in your home. Not too hectic, enough extra income, and you still get to stay home with your son WITH in home playdates =)

firsttimer84
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:57 PM

I work after my husband gets home for like 3 hours a night. He gets home at 3:30, takes the baby, and I go till 7:30. Then we both get baby time, extra income, and family time. It works out perfectly.

jbirchard

if you hubby needs you to go back to work       DO IT. your son will benefit from being around others too, interaction with others than mommy is good.

isra1986

I am in the same situation. I am loving staying at home with my daughter these past 9 months, but we are not doing well financially.
We are so far behind its not funny. I am watching a little boy everyother weekend, I found that on Craigslist. THats an extra $200 a month. I am looking for more kids to watch from home to get more money. It is fun for my daughter to have a kid to play with, and I get paid for it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)