Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I've decided to breastfeed *UPDATED WITH NEW QUESTIONS*

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:30 PM
  • 45 Replies

I didn't breastfeed with my first.  Although I have no regrets and have always been resolute on not breastfeeding this one...I've decided I want to try.  Even if it's just for the colostrum. 

I have a weird thing about my breasts.  I don't like them to be touched.  They are very sensitive...I don't even like my husband to touch them.  I feel no pleasure from it, I actually get kind of anxious...I just don't like it. 

I have a horrible fear that it's going to hurt.

Is it going to hurt? 

I need some advice and encouragement.

I didn't want to start a new post...but I was the pain mostly in your nipples...or like your whole breast?  I didn't breastfeed my first child...I remember engorgement...but it wasn't that THAT the worst of the pain?  If so...I think I could handle it. 

Also, I'm planning on going to work about 2-3 months after he's born.  If I supplement with a bottle....or switch to formula all together...will that be harmful to him...or make it harder for him to adjust?  Can you do BOTH formula and BF? 

I'm so lost.  I really want to do this though for some reason.  I've always been "I absolutely do NOT want to BF ever...".  I just changed my mind all of a sudden. 

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:32 PM

It does hurt a little at first, just make sure you have a supply of Lansinoh on hand.  You will find though it is quite a bonding experience.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:34 PM

No, it doesnt hurt!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:34 PM

well im not breastfeeding but my MIL is always giving me advice like i am and the one thing she keeps saying is to start putting on the nipple lotion stuff before the baby gets here..supposedly it helps with the pain or chaffing or something. good luck with it all :)

by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:35 PM

I did have some pain (really wasn't that bad, more uncomfortable at first with inverted nipple) but had an amazing lactation consultant.  They are at every hospital and will help you get comfortable!!!!!  Really, let them help you, even if it is something small they can make a big difference!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:35 PM
for me it ony hurts when she is nott latched on right other then that it is fine
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Kudos for you deciding to breastfeed mama! Its the best thing you can ever do for your baby. I breastfed my oldest for 11 months until she self weaned and am currently breastfeeding my 10 month old and the bond you develop with your child is unbelievable. It will hurt for a little bit at first though. Make sure to keep your nipples moisturized and try not to wash with soap as it may dry them out. When your milk comes in it will be uncomfortable but try to stick through it, you will not regret it! Best of luck mama!

Bears siggy

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:36 PM

It very rarely hurt me. I am like you in that I do not like my breasts touched sexually. Actually, I like Dh to kind of cup my breasts, and gently lick the nipples, if anything. But sucking nipples, no. I find it more annoying than pleasurable. The feel of a baby nursing is not annoying like that though!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:37 PM

it hurts at first, mainly I was shocked at how hard a tiny baby can actually suck! LOL.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:38 PM

I think one of the reasons that women say it hurts is because the baby is not latching on correctly. I loved breastfeeding. I think it is something everyone should try once. If you don't like it, you can always formula feed! Good luck!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:45 PM

I won't lie to you - it does at first. But, if you can get past the first couple days (and its only the first couple minutes of feeding)- it is so worth it!  My best advice is to get the nipple cream from babies r us because it works wonders, and don't let yourself get too engorged which is easy to do when your milk first comes in. If you have too much milk, try pumping for a couple minutes, and it is easier to feed baby. I hope you enjoy it! Good luck! And remember, don't give up if the baby doesn't latch on right away. Give him time, and he will get there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)