Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have acid reflux or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:41 PM
  • 25 Replies

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia (fairly common after pregnancy) and they said I have developed GERD because of it. Does anyone else have this and what were/are your symptoms like, how long were you on meds and did treatment work? I'm miserable. I go see the gastro dr tomorrow and I really hope he will have some good solutions. I'm experiencing frequent heart burn, nausea, weight loss and burping and things like that. Please tell me I won't feel like this forever!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
depsiua
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I have IBS and GERD and it is under great control with 20mg of pepcid and a fiber supplement per day.  I am symptom free when I take it.  Before I went on the meds, I was miserable like you.  I had the burping, terrible gas pains, heartburn, lots of gastro-intestinal discomfort.  You should be able to find some med that works for you.  My mom has GERD too and takes Nexium.  That didn't work for me, but the pepcid does.  Good luck, I hope you get some relief soon!

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I'm bumping this. There has to be someone out there with it!

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Did you ever have any nausea?

Quoting depsiua:

I have IBS and GERD and it is under great control with 20mg of pepcid and a fiber supplement per day.  I am symptom free when I take it.  Before I went on the meds, I was miserable like you.  I had the burping, terrible gas pains, heartburn, lots of gastro-intestinal discomfort.  You should be able to find some med that works for you.  My mom has GERD too and takes Nexium.  That didn't work for me, but the pepcid does.  Good luck, I hope you get some relief soon!

Tinyhourglass
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I do have this.  My only symptom was I felt like there was something caught in my throat.  For years I thought it was a tumor or something but Im a Dr.phobe so dont go unless it hurts so bad I cant function.  Finally I felt mortal & went, had a thingy down my throat & all.  It was GERD. I didnt have any other symptoms Dr said because I dont eat enough to cause heartburn, stomach upset etc.  Anyway, I was on 2 meds for 1 month.  It worked, the feeling in my throat is gone.  I had a bit of trouble though... 1 med I had to take with food in the am & I didnt.  I cannot even try to chew in the morning, so I just took it.  Bad idea,  after about 2 weeks I was pooping blood.  Be sure to eat!!!

2boysMoma
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:49 PM

RIght there with you.  I now know my triggers though.  I know not to take tylenol, only advil that is coated it doesn't make me sick.  I can't eat super spicy foods.  I also have to take my meds.

MyHotComments.comMyHotComments
I'm the candle lady! Check out my profile and see what i'm into!
wwefan53
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:50 PM

I have a hiatal hernia, and heartburn and acid all the time. I don't have any health insurance, so can't go to the dr. about it. It is miserable. I had some samples of Prevacid, which helped tremendously, but I can't afford to pay for a prescription. It really is a big help, though.

MommyRuby2008
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:50 PM

I had gastrointestinal refux when I was a teen. I took nexium daily for a few months and avoided acidic foods and then it went away. Now I can have whatever I want. GL

CHECK THESE  GROUPS OUT!!!

Photo Fanatics   (Take Pics Galore)

First Time Mommas   (Go Ga Ga over your little one!)

Let's Rate Everything  (Share & Compare)

Our Men Are Deployed   (Gain Support while your Loved ones are Deployed)

Dirty Diapers & Combat Boots    (Military Families)

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Yeah the thing is I've been eating nothing bad at all for the past 3 weeks and I'm still like this. I'm only eating bananas, rice, toast, apple sauce, yogurt, saltine crackers, I had oatmeal yesterday and I've had plain pancakes a few other bland things and water. I don't understand why I'm so sick to my stomach! It doesn't seem to matter what I do or don't eat.

Quoting 2boysMoma:

RIght there with you.  I now know my triggers though.  I know not to take tylenol, only advil that is coated it doesn't make me sick.  I can't eat super spicy foods.  I also have to take my meds.

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Bump once more

Tabatha42183
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM

I personally do not have it but my 6 month old has been on Zantac since he was 2 months old due to acid reflux. He constantly threw/throws up after every feeding and not like normal babies it's a LOT like 1-2 ounces. And it hurt so much coming back up that his throat would burn from the acids and scream like crazy. The zantac only keeps his throat from burning by reducing the acids but he still throws up a ton.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)