Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you've had an episiotomy...

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:46 PM
  • 22 Replies

How long did you wait to have sex?  & did it hurt?  How long has it been & does it hurt now?  I'm 11 days PP, way too soon to have sex, but I'm counting down the days to 6 weeks, what I think is the correct amount of time & is also when I go to my OB-GYN for my follow up.  But, I read that it hurts when you first have sex & I've read where people hurt forever afterwards.

I'm a non-married, epidural birthing, breast-milk bottle feeding, co-sleeping, vaccinating, non-circumsizing, public schooling, disposable diapering kinda mom.  I'm pro-choice, democratic, athiest, and all for world peace.  I support gay rights, I'm not racist, & I believe we were all created equal.  So, now that we got that outta the way...it's nice to meet you!
"We should really love each other in peace and harmony, instead we're fussin' and fightin' like we ain't supposed to be." - Bob Marley
"Life is tough enough without having someone kick you from the inside." - Rita Rudner
Trying to lose weight?  Already lost it?
Come join
Moms Helping Moms Lose Weight.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beansmama06
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:48 PM

I waited almost 4 weeks ,and it did not hurt. I've heard that everybody's different though.

mitch576
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:49 PM

it wasn't the episi {have had 3}

it was the internal brusing along the vaginal wall from giving birth. the epsis were  fine all trhee times. .....and one of those times they cut me right through my bum so i had a lot of stiches

owner of 30andbeyond...jigsaw ribbon...ADMIN of autism, asperger's, pdd awareness

HLJones13
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I am still VERY sensitive down there.
If my husband touches it the wrong way I flinch. But I think its just me. lol. I don't think that's a 'normal' thing.

Like when somebody has scar tissue and you touch it and they say it feels funny. Its kinda like that.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

catinseaside
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:53 PM

I had 60+ stitches with my first, I tore down my leg. I went to the doc at 6 weeks for my checkup and turned out I didn't dissolve stitches. So she had to remove them (I dissolved some) and I had to wait another 2 weeks. And it hurt like a mofo! Anyways, I would wait until you don't have stitches anymore to avoid infection. And you don't have to wait the full 6 weeks. That is just a time frame. But if you feel like having sex and can handle it, then do it. But be careful.

MaddiesMaMa418

I waited 7 months the first time (had no choice, he was deployed lol) and it hurt then. 2 months the second time, but I tore and that hurt like hell.

ferrisdaval

I don't recall how long I waited to have sex afterwards, my last child was born 17 years ago, but I only recall being a bit tender in that area and it wasn't painful for me. I've had no problems with mine at all over the years and I had 3 of them. I also don't know of any of my mom friends having any problems with pain either.

lovebugs_mom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Yes, it did hurt! I waited until after my  6 week follow up appointment, and it hurt for probably a couple months after that. I would suggest that your hubby takes it really slow, and use lots of lube. The slicker it is down there, the less it hurts.

lizmarie1975
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:54 PM

My first pregnancy I had an episiotomy and I waited about 5 weeks.

My second pregnancy I had an episiotomy and a tear and I waited 4 weeks.

I haven't had any lasting effects from either procedure.

ldsdragonmom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:56 PM

I have had them done and I always wait the full 6 weeks.  But that is just me.

boy n girlCohen April 2006 and Makayla July 2003

expecting boy Brandon due April of 09!

othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:58 PM

About 2 weeks with both my kids. I am not really patient. It didn't hurt any.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)