Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crack ADdicted Brother

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:15 PM
  • 11 Replies

My brother is a crack addict. He's 27 years old.   My parents moved him up to Oregon a few years ago and he actually worked for awhile but stopped due to crack and heroin addiction so my parents have been paying his rent and all his bills.   It became too much for them to afford so they decided to move him back down here to Texas with them.  My mom feels bad for him because its her son.    Anyways, the last few days have been really bad. He has been stealing Christmas presents and taking them back to the store for cash.  My niece and nephew who are 3 and 4 live there as well.    He lets drug dealers borrow his truck for drugs..he sold my fathers GUN and cell phone to a drug dealer for drugs.....I'm afraid things have just gone too far.   He isn't supposed to be living with my parents , my niece and nephew *sisters children*  are living with them under CPS custody so of course Drug addicts and bad influences can't be there!!!   I just don't know what to do!! 

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AandCsmomBrandy
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:18 PM

I'm sorry I don't want to sound harsh, but if your parents could afford to pay his rent, and can now afford to support him then why the H haven't they just sent him to rehab and picked up that tab? your brother doesn't need loved he needs his a$$ kicked all the way to sobriety. also it is only going to get worse!

ForeverMeme
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Hon your brother belongs in a rehab, it is his only chance. Hugs.

Meme

SylviaNCali
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Your parents need to use tough love and kick him out. It's obvious he's not ready to change so why should they continue to let him steal and stuff in their house? They need to stand up to him and show him the door.

BrokenWings175
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:21 PM

I know this advice may be hard to take itn, but she's right...it'll be better...for everyone that's involved...and that could be a BIG circle...it sounds like the only thing that's going to clean him up is a slap in the face though...and unfortunately, sometimes that's what's needed.

Good Luck...

Quoting AandCsmomBrandy:

I'm sorry I don't want to sound harsh, but if your parents could afford to pay his rent, and can now afford to support him then why the H haven't they just sent him to rehab and picked up that tab? your brother doesn't need loved he needs his a$$ kicked all the way to sobriety. also it is only going to get worse!

peachay05
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:23 PM

stage an intervention, tell him its either he gets into an inpatient rehab or he gets KICKED OUT! Tell your parents to call the cops next time he steals something. He needs to hit rock bottom to realzie what he is doing. I know this, because I used to be an opiate addict.

mnmsmom2008
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I know it's easier said than done but your parents are enabling him and they need to quit.  They could call the police on him and have him arrested for stealing for a start.  You could also call CPS on them and report that they have him living there, maybe it would be easier for them to choose the little ones than an addict.  It's a tough situation, I know from experience in my own family.

LittleBoPeep252
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:27 PM

We tried Rehab and my brother won't tell them he WANTS to get sober.......he's a selfish asshole.  Rehabs won't let you in unless you Want the help.  My parents are enabling him and this is BAD

Quoting AandCsmomBrandy:

mommy2twoangel
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Call the cops on him.  I know he is your brother, but he needs help.  Maybe a little while in jail will sober him up.  If not, at least it will get him out of your parents house and away from those kids.  Something needs to be done before CPS gets notified and the kids get removed and put in foster care.

JZB
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:34 PM

You parents need to let him hit rock bottom.  This enabling behavior will only allow him to continue down the road he's on.  My brother had addiction problems too and got kicked out of my parents house.  He lived out of his car for awhile and then joined the Marines where he went awall and then to jail.  He had a shit load of up's and downs and my parents would listen and talk to him but never give $ or access to the house.  They paid for in patient rehab once but he left after 2 weeks.  He was 19 then and now he's 32 he has a wife 2 kids a house and owns his own business.  It was the toughest parenting choice my parents ever had to make but he wouldn't be where he is now without it.  Your parents may feel responisble thinking they did something wrong but the only thing they did wrong was supporting this behavior.

***CPS may take your niece and nephew if they find out a drug addicts in the house.

ohmsgrace05
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:35 PM

You need to talk to your parents.  My FIL was one of the worst crack heads I have ever seen.  It was so bad for DH growing up there...he couldnt have anything because his dad would steal it and hock it for money...he would go door to door making up stories about his wife or child was in the hospital...he would steal meat from the grocery store, then take it back for cash....

Listen up...YOU HAVE GOT TO LET HIM HIT ROCK BOTTOM BEFORE HE WANTS TO STRAIGHTEN UP!!

I know its your brother and your momma's baby but its called tough love.  Honey, he is going to kill himself or get killed if this doesnt stop.  Its hard but he can do it.  Your parents need to stop paying his bills and moving him here and there, let him fall on his ass!  You have to...or it will never get any better....why change your ways if you get all your bills paid and there are never consequences to your actions.  He is a grown ass 27 year old man... its time to face the music...back off and let him dig his hole...when he reaches rock bottom, then he will WANT the help yall are trying to offer...there are all sorts of programs out there, some for free that will work...im telling you though, until he hits bottom, its not going to stop, its going to get worse and worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)