Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is "love" a choice?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: Love is....

Options:

A choice...something you can control

Something that just happens that you have no control of

Other (because two choices is never enough, lol)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 69

View Results

Do you believe that love is a choice, something that you're in control of, or is it something that just happens?

Can you choose to love someone or not to love someone, or is it entirely out of your hands?

&

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:00 PM

I say yes because you choose who you do or don't love.  How much you love a person is a different story though...lol.

~Jill~

sharee1400
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:00 PM

For me, love is a choice. It is a choice that I made and I chose to back it with decisions I make on a daily basis.

If we really believe that love is something we have no control over, then really, aren't we no better than animals in heat? If emotions lead us?

Lanie_momofone
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:01 PM

In some instances..no i dont think you can help who you love, When i re-met  (we have known eachother all of our lives..but had re-met 11 years later) my SO now of 6 yrs, i had just split up with my husband. I was NOT looking for a relationship at all, and when the flirting started and the casual dating, thats all i thought of it as. I didnt want anything serious and neither did he. Falling inlove with eachother was not something that we had planned, it just kind of happend.

No regrets, and no mistakes....love is what it is, sometimes its a blessing...sometimes its a lesson.

Renee21
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM

I think that we all put ourselves in positions to love certain people and are capable of removing ourselves from them. I think marriages only last if you choose to make them work with consistent attention. But you do not really choose who you are attracted to, that one kinda just pops up.

mandalynne00
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Someone wrote this to me when I got married:

"Love is a decision, not a feeling. Make the choice to love each other every day, even when you don't want to."

I live by that. :)

Bugabug
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:03 PM

I think the initial feelings just happen.  But we make choices on what to do about those feelings, we control how we react to our feelings.  I really liked my hubby when I met him.  But we both made the choice to explore those feelings, keep dating and work on loving each other.  Then we made the choice to marry and make a life together.  And we still choose every day to work at making our marriage work and our love grow.

Mrszxcop3land
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:03 PM

here's a bump for ya =]

&& what happens when the love runs dry ?

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:04 PM

I find the seafood counter guy at Walmart attractive, that doesn't mean I love him.  I choose not to.  I choose to love my husband.

Quoting Renee21:

I think that we all put ourselves in positions to love certain people and are capable of removing ourselves from them. I think marriages only last if you choose to make them work with consistent attention. But you do not really choose who you are attracted to, that one kinda just pops up.

~Jill~

MommyRuby2008
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Yes its different because animals do things based on primal instinct, Emotions are a different string entirely.

Quoting sharee1400:

For me, love is a choice. It is a choice that I made and I chose to back it with decisions I make on a daily basis.

If we really believe that love is something we have no control over, then really, aren't we no better than animals in heat? If emotions lead us?

CHECK THESE  GROUPS OUT!!!

Photo Fanatics   (Take Pics Galore)

First Time Mommas   (Go Ga Ga over your little one!)

Let's Rate Everything  (Share & Compare)

Our Men Are Deployed   (Gain Support while your Loved ones are Deployed)

Dirty Diapers & Combat Boots    (Military Families)

britt_a
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM

I really like that quote! thank you, i needed that today.

Quoting mandalynne00:

Someone wrote this to me when I got married:

"Love is a decision, not a feeling. Make the choice to love each other every day, even when you don't want to."

I live by that. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)