Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about infants in swings

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:08 PM
  • 17 Replies
My friend has a 3 month old baby boy. Her MIL was watching him today and when she talked to her at about 3:00, she found out that her MIL had the baby in his swing pretty much all day. He was in there for 2 hours this morning (asleep), then he woke up and took a bottle and then he was fussy, so she put him back in and he fell back to sleep. So he had been asleep in there for about 3 more hours. So 5 hours total in his swing. She was pretty annoyed by this. What do you all think? Is that a little excessive? We were thinking all that motion is not good for an infant.
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Trishintraining
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM

For the longest time the only place my son would sleep was in his swing, so he was in it for longer periods of time, and he's fine.

If it kept him calm, imo, it was fine, but idk, since I really only worry about what's good for MY kid and not everyone elses, lol.

joy-to-have
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM

i dont know.Both my kids loved their swing.They would take naps in them at times.I never heard of it hurting them.

Merry Chrismas to All !!!

Rhynestonefreak
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:14 PM
I left my son in the swing for a while, it was the only place he was able to sleep for the longest time since he at to sleep on a slope. I don't think infants can get motion sickness from the swing either. I just don't understand how she could resist holding the baby lol, when my mom would watch him for a few hours she refused to put him down.

A Jan. baby!!! Parker (6-1-07)

jaykel0325
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:16 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. It's probably not something I would worry about, but she is a first time mom that tends to overreact to things. She always comments that he doesn't sleep enough during the day, then when he does sleep most of the day she worries because he was in his swing and she was afraid it would hurt him. I don't know. I think he'll be fine. It's hard to give her advice because she definitely worries about way more things than I do.
nanjo33
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:18 PM

She basically used it as a crib, some people do that.  Some babies only sleep in swings.

AmelieH

i see nothing wrong with it if the kid was happy.

brettleysmommy

I dont see whats wrong with it... IMO, Ive seen parents hold them for hours on end, and swing them in their arms for long periods of times, and they never got motion sickness? DD would never sit in hers that long, but she did sleep in it for a few hours at a time on a few occasions...

I'm a married, natural birthing, bottle-feeding, co-sleeping, non-spanking, non-vaccinating, front face seating,  disposable diapering child led parenting teen mom of one beautiful daughter.  I'm a pro-life, strong willed, debt-free, book loving,  believer in God. Try and Change me.

Mommy2BeFeb2009
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:19 PM

The motion of the swing tends to remind babies of the womb, so if that is where they prefer to sleep, let them.  They will gradually grow out of it as they grow up.

Proud Mommy to Samantha 4 years old
Eagerly Awaiting AUSTIN JOSEPH!
pregnancy calendar
jaykel0325
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:21 PM
Well that's what bothers her. She never holds him. She couldn't wait to start watching him and doesn't when she has him he's always in his swing, bouncy seat or playpen. She doesn't hold him unless she's giving him a bottle. She tells my friend that she spoils him.
Quoting Rhynestonefreak:

I left my son in the swing for a while, it was the only place he was able to sleep for the longest time since he at to sleep on a slope. I don't think infants can get motion sickness from the swing either. I just don't understand how she could resist holding the baby lol, when my mom would watch him for a few hours she refused to put him down.

MommyOnLI
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:29 PM

i dont see anything wrong with what her MIL did.

they say when babies are fussy to swing them, either in your arms or in a swing.

DS slept in his swing 12 hours 7pm-7am from 3 months to about 7 months.  if we were home and he needed to nap (which is often for a 3 month old) he would nap in his swing.

Pregnancy ticker

Are you Due August 2009, come join my group!

baby

Elective C Section, Formula Feeding, Disposable Diaper, CIO, Pro- Vaxing, Pro-Circ Mommy to one of the best little men out there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)