Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is being a mother everything you though it would be?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:51 PM
  • 27 Replies

Is there anything you are plesantly surprised about?  Is there anything that you are disappointed with?  What do you think overall about what it means to be a mom?

I am a motherless mother, who has a 3 year old princess and a two year old devil, who has been touched by suicide and breast cancer, who got married at 19 and is still married to the same man 11 years later, who is a Certified Texas Teacher but stays at home now, who has Anklosing Spondylitis which is an autoimmune disease, who is a non-church going Christian, that knows it is important to live in the now, because tomorrow is not guaranteed. Oh, and for some reason I collect giraffes!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tomsmom07
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:55 PM

I couldn't imagine my life any other way. My son is my life. Yes he is a pain sometimes and it has been a struggle but I wouldn't trade one second of the time I've had with him. Kinda nervous about #2 coming but I'm sure I will feel the same way about her once she is here.

addisonsmom3794
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:57 PM

It's so much better than I ever imagned.  I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.  She is the most amazing person in the world and I love her more than anything.  I would trade everything I have just to keep her with me forever!

Mrs.Callahan
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:57 PM

I hate that my son grew so fast. He's now 4 & it dont seam like it. Time went by way too fast. But i love being a mom. I love seeing his face look at me & tell me he loves me. He also tell me im perfect. He can be so sweet. There is a lot to come with being a mom. We have a lot that we give up to make sure that our child is taken care of. But i think that its the best thing that i have done with my life. Is to bring my son into this world.

spiritmustang02
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Oh there was plenty of stuff that caught me off guard.  The list is so long I will spare the details.  However if I even think about putting my son in daycare I cringe.  I'm terrified of what is going to happen in about 6 1/2 months when we bring #2 home.  I know it will work out though.

boy on a swingHappy mom to Ian Micheal.

nemiller
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:59 PM

a lot of it is pretty great.  it takes a little getting used to the new sleep(less) pattern and everything being a little more complicated because you have to prepare two people, one of whom is a little more demanding than your average person.  but i DO hate that a lot of times, my husband acts like because i'm a SAHM, i should do everything around the house and for our son unless he decides to "help."  yeah, yeah, he works... but his work day ends and he gets weekends.  his work doesn't wake him up screaming at 2 in the morning.  his work doesn't shit all over his good shirts, puke down his pants in a crowded restaurant, or throw fits in public.  i don't get breaks, unless the baby miraculously naps.  the only time i've gotten a sick day was because (a) i had the flu and (b) it was a sunday, so DH was home.  but you better believe he bitched the whole day and STILL hasn't let it go.

Night_Roane
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:02 PM

I wasn't expecting it to be quite so exhausting - or quite so rewarding. Every little thing that she learns to do is so exciting! From her 1st babble to her 1st shriek - her 1st time trying to hold her bottle to her 1st time eating solids - her 1st smile to her 1st laugh. Sometimes I think I'm completely burned out - then I see that little face looking at me I can't stay annoyed. I loved the little newborn she was and I love the little girl she's becoming.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

missbobbie
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:04 PM

It has been much harder then I thought it would be. I was a nanny for four years to four young boys. I raised the families youngest boy form the age three months and it was much easier then this. My baby has had some issues though. I would't give it up for the world and every day is slowly getting better. I just have to keep telling myself that she will grow out of this and be better some day.

AramaS
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:04 PM

I can't imagine my life without my daughters in it. In many ways my oldest daughter saved my life. If it wasn't for her I don't think that I would be alive in many ways...(long story) and it was when my second daughter was born did I feel like my family is finally complete. I am amazed at how much patience I can have sometimes...especially as my oldest reaches her teen years. Overall I love being a mommy. Nothing beats the smile they give when you haven't seen them all day and you know they are happy to see mommy. :)

Amberwavessss
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Before I had my daughter I didn't know much about child development.  I didn't expect her to be so brilliant at 4 going on 5 years old.  It's nice having a kid you can actually hold a conversation with.  :)  I must say I'm disappointed in how hard it's been to make mommy friends.  C'est la vie!

missbobbie
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:07 PM

I agree finding other mommies that you have similar interests with is super hard. I am either not "good enough" or just lack that "cool" mommy vibe some ladies have. I wish I had some other women to talk too that have babies. Maybe it would make it easier.

Quoting Amberwavessss:

Before I had my daughter I didn't know much about child development.  I didn't expect her to be so brilliant at 4 going on 5 years old.  It's nice having a kid you can actually hold a conversation with.  :)  I must say I'm disappointed in how hard it's been to make mommy friends.  C'est la vie!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)