Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Electric blankets and Kids?? I need advice! (pic included)

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM
  • 7 Replies

This is a picture of my daughters room.  You will notice that her bed is in the corner with both of the walls being exterior walls.  There is really no other place for us to put her bed because if we put it on the opposite wall (notice the corner of the wooden box in the left) her pillow will fall off the bed because this bed has no head board (or if we put her head at the other end it will be under that window).  On the wall to the right of the picture is her closet and I'm standing in the doorway. 

That said, the wind chill here in Oklahoma City tonight is below 0, and as I was reading her her bedtime stories I noticed the walls on either side of her bed are FREEZING!!  I've put four blankets on her and she is still getting up in the middle of the night and getting in bed with my and DH.  I also have put her in warm PJ's.

So my question is, is it ok to use an electric blanket with a 4 year old??  We were thinking of turning it on about 30 minutes before bedtime and then when I go to bed (about 3 hours after she does) I could turn it off and unplug it. 

Does this sound safe?? If not, anyone suggest any alternatives?

cat
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ladyinpink331
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:49 PM

i think its alright, if your going to turn it off before you go to bed im sure it will be fine

AnastaciasMom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:49 PM

anyone?

trendymommy4
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:51 PM

My kids have heated mattress pads..they are awesome!!! You can control the heat and they are relatively cheap on ebay...or bed bath and beyond..

02nana07
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:52 PM

DOES SHE EVER HAVE AN ACCIDENT AND WET THE BED IF SHE DOES I WOULD SAY NO.  I THINK IT WOULD BE OK OTHERWISE AS LONG AS YOU CHECK ON IT AND TURN IT OFF BEFORE YOU GO TO BED.  I HAVE HEARD THEY CAN CATCH ON FIRE DON'T KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS HAD THIS HAPPEN I USED ONE UNTIL RECENTLY MY HUSBAND GOT ME A MICROWAVEABLE BLANKET.  

M0M0F03
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Buy her a suede comforter. My son has one and he sweats. Just put another blanket between her and the suede one.

I don't know why an electric blanket wouldn't be alright though.

mommyof2NV
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:55 PM

I think its fine as long as you turn it off.  I will keep her nice and warm. When I was younger I had a mattress pad that warmed and my mom would turn it off when she tucked me in.  Wow that was a long time ago....I am sure they are alot better now too!

Renae - wife to Eric, mom to Sadie and a baby on the way...

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
pregnancy due date

AnastaciasMom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:03 PM

My DH is a TIGHT FISTED sob, anyone know how much these heated mattress pads are?? lol.  I will probably end up using my christmas money anyway, but I would like to know a price range.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)