Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've got a few wanderers...

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:50 AM
  • 5 Replies

Okay, there is no way that I'm the only mom who has this problem....My two oldest children, a 4 year old and a 2 year old, will NOT STAY in their room at night. My 4 year old gets up and rummages through the fridge, leaving things out that need to stay refrigerated, and has actually tried to cook food for himself (using the microwave) and he didn't figure it out, thank goodness. Both of these children have good dinners at night before bed, so I'm sure it can't be cuz he's starving that he's eating while everyone is sleeping. Okay, and the 2 year old, she plays in the bathroom, or climbs on things...lol you know, 2 year old stuff. We've put a baby gate up in front of the bathroom door, to deter her going in there, and there's a gate in the doorway to the kitchen for the same reason. But they can climb over them so fast, I dunno why we even bother...Any suggestions on keeping this pair in their room at night? I have run out of ideas! I've even slept in their room on their floor, and it didn't help them stay in there...

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Sexymama1929
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:56 AM

?

momofcmnj
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:58 AM

My daughter does that. She will get up and go downstairs (she climbs gates too) and go in the kitchen and get something to eat (she used to play in the bathroom when she was younger). The only solution we had was we put a chain lock across the top of the bathroom door so she couldn't get in, in the kitchen we put a fridge lock on the fridge so she couldn't open it and a chain lock on the pantry so she didn't go in there. Now that my 2 yr old has started opening door knobs we have 2 wanderers too (My 2 y/o has been climbing gates since he was 14 mo). I am thinking about getting one of those buzzers you can put on the side of your driveway and it goes off when someone pulls in (my in laws have one) and putting it in the doorway of their rooms so I know when they "escape" LOL I'm glad I am not the only one with this problem, b/c it seems like no one I know has a child or children that do this.

baby boybaby boybaby girlbaby boy

Jason                     Nicholas               Melanie                 Colin

6-27-08                   11-28-06              2-26-05                6-25-90

Jenny301
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:59 AM

No idea.  Good luck mama.

Trying To Conceive with Butterfly Pictures, Images and Photos

raerae1011
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:03 AM

maybe you need to discipline them in some way.  not necessarily spank them.  but teach them that what they are doing is a bad thing.

Sexymama1929
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Lol, yeah I can't figure out just how to discipline them though. How do you tell a 2 year old she can't run around when everyone's sleeping? Nobody up to tell her no....lol. When I looked it up on a parenting site, they suggested putting a latch on the outside of the door...? Wouldn't that be like a fire hazard? Hmm, I dunno yeah it sounds like they're saying it's okay to lock your kids in their room...but then again is it any different than a baby in a crib? They're pretty much trapped in there too. Ugh, stop the world, I wanna get off... LOL who knew nighttime would be so complicated?? Thought I had it all figured out when I started getting more sleep at night, now this...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)