Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I just had a scare... ***EDIT***

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:03 AM
  • 25 Replies

dWe moved into our new place back in September- When we moved in our living room fan/light did not work. In fact, when we would turn the switch on SMOKE would come from the light sockets- well we told our land lord, I don't know HOW MANY TIMES....

Anyway- we moved in SEPTEMBER, it is now DECEMBER- Still have not fixed it. We would do it ourselves, but we don't have the money, we are not electricians, and it is HER responsibility, the renter before us is the one who broke it... We have electrical tape covering the light switch so my DD won't touch it...

Anyway, my DD has been sick today, so she slept most of the day. Well, she was in the living room wondering around. I was in the bathroom, and all of a sudden, I heard this AWFUL noise. I mean it was awful.. And a minute later I could smell something terrible, something burning.... Well, my DD comes running into the bathroom with me telling me she didn't mean to... Well, so I get out there and see what it is. Well, my entire LIVING room is full of smoke, and the light is flickering on and off... The entire time it is making this awful sound.  Well, it was probably on a good 5 minutes, because chances are it didn't start making that sound for a minute or two. Well, it would appear my daughter pulled the tape off and decided to turn the switch.

So now I am wide awake, she is wide awake, I am scared to go to bed, because I am scared that maybe the switch was on long enough to really get something up there heated up.... I don't want my house to burn down... I am unsure what to do at this point... I have made sure all my smoke detectors are working properly as well, as soon as it happened. As soon as I got into my living room, the smoke detector in my kitchen started going off.... I am just worried to go to bed now.....

***EDIT***
The firemen just left my house. There were three of them, and they came inside and checked out my ceiling, the fan/light, and then they climbed inside my attic. After about 30 minutes, they told me that it was safe to stay here. That they did not see anything to cause much concern, except that they could still smell the smoke that it blew out. They said it was 10 times worse in the attic. However, nothing was hot and everything seemed to be in place. They told me they would contact my landlord right away, and if no answer tonight, they will call first thing in the morning. They will then send someone over to my landlords house to talk with them about the severity of electrical issues. They told me that if I noticed anything strange throughout the night to contact them ASAP- such as if the smell got worse. Anything out of the ordinary. That they would be back over as soon as I called them if I needed them. So, as of right now, I am a bit put to rest, but we are talking about a bunch of redneck volunteer fireman.... Only one was an actual credited fireman. I am seriously considering packing up camp for the night and heading somewhere else. Just in case. I feel better knowing it should be alright, but I am still uneasy- I know just how quickly crap can happen- My parents and I lost everything to a house fire many years ago. So, I may be leaving in a few.... I can tell you this... I am getting copies of everything reported tonight, and if my landlord doesn't do something about this, then I am going to do everything suggested in here. Thanks for your concern and suggestions.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brooke208
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:06 AM
I would push a heck of a lot harder to get that fixed. Threaten to call a lawyer if you have to. Electrical problems are NOT something to mess with and unfortunately they are the cause for a lot of fires!
CaliGirlLife
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:07 AM

report your landlord to your local housing board, and to the city inspector. and call you local fire department tell them whats up. more then likely the will send somone to check and give your landlord a warning with the risk of a huge fine

I'm Heather a 21 year old single mom, to a baby boy named Jude born two weeks early Via C-section, on 11-26-08. I have multiple sclerosis,epilepsy. But it does not have me.
SuthrnPrincess
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Wow I would be freaked out too.

Brooke208
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:09 AM
Quoting CaliGirlLife:

report your landlord to your local housing board, and to the city inspector. and call you local fire department tell them whats up. more then likely the will send somone to check and give your landlord a warning with the risk of a huge fine

Yes, I'd actually call the fire department right now. Seriously. Like I said, electrical problems are definitely not something to mess with!
mamamissy316

Did you submit your request to have it fixed in writing?  If so, then by law he only has 72 hours to fix it.  Either way, that is a safety hazard and I'm sure any state would require him to fix it right away.

SheilaAz

I would make a police report. Thankfully your smoke detectors worked. It is your landlord's responsibility. Also, get renters insurance; most likely through your auto insurance company.

Sheila

Momma's Heart Breaker

cheri1221
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:10 AM

I agree.  Call landlord first thing in the morning.  He should come running, I'm sure he wouldn't want the house to catch fire either.  Don't pay rent until he fixes it, if he tries to sue you, you have plenty of grounds to get his ass in trouble, not yours.  I'd be scared to go to bed too, I understand.  Sleep lightly and be sure you have a clear path to the kids and a way out if you have to.

Sunrunner7

Yeah, every time I say something about it, she replies with a remark that sounds legit.  She will even pop by and check and see what she needs to get for her electritian friend to do it. Its like.. how many damn times you need to look lady... make a effin note you know... 

I think I will do that with the fire dept. because I am seriously freaked out now. my house burnt to the ground when I was 16 years old, so I know all about electrical fires...

magenta2325

i would call the fire dept and have them come look and determine if its safe and then i would call the landlord and tell her.

CaliGirlLife
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:11 AM

ya so if the place does burn down you can get money for your things

Quoting SheilaAz:

I would make a police report. Thankfully your smoke detectors worked. It is your landlord's responsibility. Also, get renters insurance; most likely through your auto insurance company.

Sheila

I'm Heather a 21 year old single mom, to a baby boy named Jude born two weeks early Via C-section, on 11-26-08. I have multiple sclerosis,epilepsy. But it does not have me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)