Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tantrums in the Store!!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:14 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 3 year old has just started throwing the horrible tantrums in the store, pushing me, standing in the cart, throwing things out of the cart and what not. BUT it seems like it only happens when like my husband or my sister in law is with me. She's not really like this when it's just her and I, overall she's good, she walks holding on to the cart, helps me put things in, and is a really good girl!! Does this mean that I can't go grocery shopping with anyone else with us? Why would she be doing this? We're expecting our baby boy in March and I'd like my husband to be able to come shopping with me to help me out, but gosh not if she's going to be a little terror!! Ugh........ I just don't know where it came from or what to do about it. Do I just walk away? I don't know. Normally at home she goes and sits in the corner for 3 minutes on a timeout but I obviously can't do that in Publix or Target or anything.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KYChica
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:16 AM

My kids tend to do this when someone else is around , usually when my mom is with us. I don't know if they're over excited or they feel like the person that's with you is taking all their attention away. I really don't know what to suggest because normally for me it only takes a few warning & threats to leave the store , before they act right.

amb_josh
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:18 AM

Oh yes you can do time out in the stores! I do and it works better then the time outs at home....The girls get embarrased and dont do that at all again! I just put them on the floor on a jacket they bring, (it goes directily in the wash when we get home) and they just sit there until its time. I just kinda stand there but not really do anything not looking at them or anything. SO what if your child is crying during time out n the store......you have to disipline your kid, other shoppers (at least i) wouldnt mind a few mins of crying, knowing your just being a parent!

Patty24momof5
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:18 AM

TRY BRINGING SOMETHING FPR HER TO DO TOYS,COLORING BOOK,ETC THATS WHAT I DO WITH MINE,BUT IT IS STRANGE SHE ONLY DOES IT WHEN SOMEONE IS WITH YOU,MAYBE SHES JEALOUS IDK HERE IS A BUMP!!!! I ALWAYS HAVE AT LEAST 3KIDDOS USE TO HAVE TO BRING ALL 5 OF MINE-SO I GUESS THEY WERE USE TO HAVING OTHERS THERE.AND BEING ALONE WITH THEM IF THEY DID ACT OUT,I LET THE OLDER ONES KNOW THEY WILL BE DRAWING A CONSEQUENCE WHEN WE GOT HOME.THE YOUNGER 2 I WILL STOP AND MAKE THEM SIT STILL AND WONT MOVE UNTIL THEY DECIDE TO STOP IT MAKES THEM FEEL LIKE ITS TIME OUT,PEOPLE STARE BUT NOONE CARES,LOL!!!

DEDICATED DOLLS WEIGHT LOSS AND TONING (Just click here on the name to join!)WE HAVE CHALLENGES,WEIGHINS,PICS,MEASUREMENTS,AND DIET TIPS AND INFO!

amb_josh
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:19 AM

I wont do the act right or were leaving thing.....Then they (at least my girls) learn if i dont want to be here, act bad and well leave

Quoting KYChica:

My kids tend to do this when someone else is around , usually when my mom is with us. I don't know if they're over excited or they feel like the person that's with you is taking all their attention away. I really don't know what to suggest because normally for me it only takes a few warning & threats to leave the store , before they act right.

PurpleNurples
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Oh God!  I would run so fast, the buggy wheels would be on fire!  LOL  She will get over this, and when the new baby comes, she can be your big helper.  She can actually start being your big helper now.  Give her a piece of paper and a crayon and let her make her own list.  Then, she can get the items you have told her.  It's all about giving her a job.  Something to keep her busy, and to keep you from the embarrassment.  The worst part about a tantrum in the store is when people start looking at you.  I have actually gotten so pissed at the stares, that I stopped, looked at one woman, and said, " Lady, put your damn eyeballs back in your head, and go get what you came in here for!" 

flying bunny

lilmomma4
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:21 AM

Maybe you can try just taking her back out of the store for a minute to calm down. Explain to her that they are there to help out and maybe get her involved in helping you look for things.My 3yr old loves to help at the grocery store. He will put things we need in the cart (nonbreakable of course) and puts stuff on the counter at the check out. Hope you find something that works.

www.myspace.com/onelilmomma4

tonyswitch
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:23 AM

my d@ughter w@s 3 @t the time, & threw @ fit over @ c@ndy b@r... throwed things out of the c@rt, etc, scre@ming, kicking...  i picked her up out of the c@rt, put her down, got on her level, & told her in no uncert@in terms th@t she w@s going to @ct th@t w@y in public... i s@id it in @ low voice too...  i @lso told her if she kept on @cting like th@t i would give her something to cry @bout  & wouldn't forget.

From then on she w@s fine..  she w@s the only one of my 5 kids th@t did th@t..

jazzyandpat
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:24 AM

my son did it a few times. one time i spanked his butt. the other time i walked away from him and told him if you act like that we will leave the store and wont come back.

MADAmom2
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:31 AM

Ever since my DD turned 3 she's forgotten how to act espically in public!, whether she's just with me or if someone else is with us too I give her the chance to walk next to me in the store, but when she starts acting up after a few warnings her butt goes in the cart. I actually have walked away from her in an aisle (but I could still she her) a few times and that helped (for the moment). I've also put her in time-out in a store too & I've done the calm talk & said something along the lines that mommy needs her to be a good girl right now blah blah. I've done the bribing with a balloon or cookie (Publix gives them away for free) & I've even wispered in her ear that I'm gonna take her to the bathroom and bust her butt (god I feel like my mother when I say that...though I haven't had to do it yet). I've tried it all....It all depends on what her mood is that day which one will work, sometimes nothing works. I was warned about the terrible 2s but man are the 3s worse already!!!!!

christmas treeCrystal  santa blue

Merry Christmas

MADAmom2
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:34 AM

OH I HATE WHEN PEOPLE GIVE YOU FUNNY LOOKS WHEN YOUR KID IS ACTING UP! I WANNA SMACK THEM MORE THAN MY KID! LOL

Quoting PurpleNurples:

Oh God!  I would run so fast, the buggy wheels would be on fire!  LOL  She will get over this, and when the new baby comes, she can be your big helper.  She can actually start being your big helper now.  Give her a piece of paper and a crayon and let her make her own list.  Then, she can get the items you have told her.  It's all about giving her a job.  Something to keep her busy, and to keep you from the embarrassment.  The worst part about a tantrum in the store is when people start looking at you.  I have actually gotten so pissed at the stares, that I stopped, looked at one woman, and said, " Lady, put your damn eyeballs back in your head, and go get what you came in here for!" 

christmas treeCrystal  santa blue

Merry Christmas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)