Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 3 y/o is always bothering her little brother....how do I get her to stop?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:22 AM
  • 5 Replies

My 3 y/o DD is always bothering my 13mon DS. She's always pulling him, pushing him, twisting his ears, taking his toys & just always annoying him & in his face. She's not doing it to be mean (most of the time). She just doesn't realize how strong she is & I think she gets too jealous sometimes. I feel bad for her that I'm always correcting her to leave him alone...I don't know what else to do. When she's being mean to him and hits or pushes I do it back to her so she'll know how it feels. I put her in time out if she doesn't listen when I say to leave him alone. Is this normal? How can I help curve this behavior? Thanks!

christmas treeCrystal  santa blue

Merry Christmas

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MikeysMom51108
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:26 AM

How much alone time do you get to spend with her? If she's jealous of him (which is normal for older siblings)--she may simply be doing it for attention. Negative attention is better than no attention at all. I think parents tend to dote on younger children more and leave the older children feeling left out, so they resort to ways of getting any kind of attention at all.

Now, obviously I don't know what it's like in your home, so I'm certainly not trying to imply that you ignore your daughter. It's just a suggestion...I only have one child, so take my opinion for what it's worth, which in this case probably isn't much!

Good luck!

brandonlauren
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Well maybe next time she starts doing that, go to her and say, come here and show her how to be gentle with him, maybe sit down with the both of them and play with them both so she can see how to play nicely and not be rough.. I think you are right that she doesnt realize she is hurting him but maybe if she sees you being gentle and playing nice, she will too.. I dont think though you should be pushing her back and all that, just when she does that, say nono, that hurts your brother, dont do that, do this, and maybe pat him on the back and stroke his hair, something in that nature.. Anyways, just remember, this too will pass!  God Bless..

PurpleNurples
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Maybe she feels no responsibility for him.  Try to make it seem as if she is your big helper.  Everytime I have brought a new baby home, the older ones instantly go into "help" mode.  I know they are not my little slaves, but they know that we are a family, and we help each other.  That we are all responsible for one another.  I'm not saying to let her feed and burp him, but little things, like getting you a diaper.  Showing him the pics. in a book.  Singing him a song. Helping you mix a bottle.  Easy stuff that will make her feel important.  This too shall pass Mama!  ((hugs)) and good luck. 

flying bunny

lilmomma4
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:31 AM

I do this with my 3yr old. He now loves to help out with the baby.  Also when the baby is sleeping try to spend some time with her too. This way she feels like she's still getting your time too.

Quoting PurpleNurples:

Maybe she feels no responsibility for him.  Try to make it seem as if she is your big helper.  Everytime I have brought a new baby home, the older ones instantly go into "help" mode.  I know they are not my little slaves, but they know that we are a family, and we help each other.  That we are all responsible for one another.  I'm not saying to let her feed and burp him, but little things, like getting you a diaper.  Showing him the pics. in a book.  Singing him a song. Helping you mix a bottle.  Easy stuff that will make her feel important.  This too shall pass Mama!  ((hugs)) and good luck. 

www.myspace.com/onelilmomma4

MADAmom2
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:48 AM

I do do all this! She always gets me a diaper or finds me a paci, etc. she always says she loves being a big sister or she loves being a helper. It's kinda hard to spending alone time with her when he's awake, but we do special things during his nap time or when he goes to bed & when I run to do an errand I usually take her with me. IDK!

Quoting lilmomma4:

I do this with my 3yr old. He now loves to help out with the baby.  Also when the baby is sleeping try to spend some time with her too. This way she feels like she's still getting your time too.

Quoting PurpleNurples:

christmas treeCrystal  santa blue

Merry Christmas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)