Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sister has to have a blood transfusion

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:55 AM
  • 12 Replies

I am so mad for her. She told her dr that if she did not induce her a couple weeks ago that her baby would be too big and she would end up with complications. Her last baby she had she too had problems but nothing like this time around.

Her dr said that she had 3 babies already that she would not have a problem having this one. So she didnt induce her.

3 days ago she had her beautiful baby girl. 8 lbs 4 oz. 22 inches long. Her name is Heyllie Nicole.

Well, my sister went through about 16 hours of hard labor and her baby girl's head got stuck (too big just like my sister said) and the suctioning didnt work. So she had to go in for an emergency cesection. which would have been avoided if the dr just listened to her.

While in surgery she lost alot of blood. The nurse said the amount she lost would take two donors to replace. THAT IS ALOT OF BLOOD.

She has been holding out hoping that her blood count would go up but it has just been going down. She looks so pale but did look better yesterday despite the counts going down.

Last night she was told that they would not let her go past last night without the transfusion. She tried some iron pills (i believe that was what it was she was given) to try to help bring them up bit if that didnt work then she would have to go in for her transfusion. The dr also said she may need surgery again.

ALL THIS BECAUSE OF THE DAMN DR.  IF SHE WOULD HAVE LISTENED TO MY SISTER SHE WOULD NOT BE IN THIS SITUATION. SHE WAS ROBBED OF THE BIRTHING EXPERIENCE SHE DESERVED AND WANTED AND SHE HAS BEEN THROUGH ALOT OF UNNECESSARY PAIN AND SURGERIES.

Please, if your dr does not listen to you go find another dr. Tell anyone and everyone who will listen about your story. Hopefully the dr will either get a clue and change the way she does things or she will get enough bad raps that no one will go see her.

Please pray for my sister.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am the group owner of the following groups:

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

If one or more of my groups are of interest to you please click on the link above and join today....see ya there

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:57 AM

I'm sorry that your sister is going through this. How far along was she?

chopped headBecky

Sarcasm is just one of the services I offer!

akataml
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:58 AM

if her blood count is still going down, that means there is still a bleed.I just had to recieve 3 untits from a botched hysterectomy, my count was down to 23,and it needed to be brought up to 140 min.That took three units. I would advise her to request an exray to see if there is any shadowing that would indicate an internal hemotoma (bleed). I wish her the best and good luck

HeartofGold
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Her due date was December 7th and she had gone in to be induced on the 13th and had her baby on the 14th.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I'm sorry that your sister is going through this. How far along was she?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

If one or more of my groups are of interest to you please click on the link above and join today....see ya there

HeartofGold
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:01 AM

they took her in for one yesterday and they said everything looked fine. I had to come home as the weather is suppose to be really bad here today and i had been snowed in over there for two days. I didnt get to stay to see how she did last night. I will call her today.

OMG.....3 units. That is awful. I can't believe this sort of thing is happeneing to people. What is wrong with these dr.s?

Quoting akataml:

if her blood count is still going down, that means there is still a bleed.I just had to recieve 3 untits from a botched hysterectomy, my count was down to 23,and it needed to be brought up to 140 min.That took three units. I would advise her to request an exray to see if there is any shadowing that would indicate an internal hemotoma (bleed). I wish her the best and good luck

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

necro1134
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:02 AM

i dont pray, but i hope your sister gets well soon, and congrats on the baby

shebearncub
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Your sister is in my prayers......

My older sisters Best Friend changed OB's when she was 8 mo pregnant...cause he didn't listen to her concerns either. I am BIG on being an advocate for ourselves. I hope she recovers soon!

How is the new arrival btw? HUGS and belated congrats on their baby.

HeartofGold
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:18 AM

my sisters ob moved away when she was 8 months prego and she was refering her to someone else in the practice but my sister just went with the person who was replacing her. big mistake!!!

Her little one is doing very good. She is a chubby little thing but as cute as all can be.

Thank you!

Quoting shebearncub:

Your sister is in my prayers......

My older sisters Best Friend changed OB's when she was 8 mo pregnant...cause he didn't listen to her concerns either. I am BIG on being an advocate for ourselves. I hope she recovers soon!

How is the new arrival btw? HUGS and belated congrats on their baby.

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

akataml
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:21 AM

i think they just take on too many patients to be able to fully concentrate on the one at hand. In my case it was poor communication between doc and nurses which led to internal bleeding after the first surgery,next day i was rushed back into the er to repair the bleed.Following night the nurse pulled a drainage tube that was not supposed to be removed before reading my file, so then i had to be rushed by ambulance 2 hrs away for more suregry.All within 2 days this happened,it was horrible

Quoting HeartofGold:

they took her in for one yesterday and they said everything looked fine. I had to come home as the weather is suppose to be really bad here today and i had been snowed in over there for two days. I didnt get to stay to see how she did last night. I will call her today.

OMG.....3 units. That is awful. I can't believe this sort of thing is happeneing to people. What is wrong with these dr.s?

Quoting akataml:

HeartofGold
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM

OMG.....I could not imagine. I am so glad you are ok now.

My sister just called me and she said that the dr didnt come in last night but showed up today and told her that they are going to go through with the blood transfusion and he put in the order for blood just now. When they get it there then she will be having it done.

Quoting akataml:

i think they just take on too many patients to be able to fully concentrate on the one at hand. In my case it was poor communication between doc and nurses which led to internal bleeding after the first surgery,next day i was rushed back into the er to repair the bleed.Following night the nurse pulled a drainage tube that was not supposed to be removed before reading my file, so then i had to be rushed by ambulance 2 hrs away for more suregry.All within 2 days this happened,it was horrible

Quoting HeartofGold:

Quoting akataml:

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

akataml
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:42 AM

I do wish her luck.The transfusion is easy.They do one bag of blood along with a bag of some sort of clear fluid.Goes right into the existing iv bag.Once it starts, if she feels the least bit woozy, cold, or numb, make sure she tells the doc right away. But im sure all will go well, and she will feel better soon. Best wishes to all, and her baby is beautiful! :)

Quoting HeartofGold:

OMG.....I could not imagine. I am so glad you are ok now.

My sister just called me and she said that the dr didnt come in last night but showed up today and told her that they are going to go through with the blood transfusion and he put in the order for blood just now. When they get it there then she will be having it done.

Quoting akataml:

Quoting HeartofGold:

Quoting akataml:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)