Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help puppy has chewing problems piog

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:43 AM
  • 2 Replies

we havean 8 month old rott/lab puppy that CHEWS EVERYTHING! im sick of my sons stuffed animals and my kitchen supplies bieng ruined, he is large dog so i can pout everything up high, i watch him but turn my back for 1 sec and hes chewing something, i put him in his kennel when he does this but it desont seem to help need advice on how to get pup to stop chewing he has sevreal bones and toys but would prefer to chew non accpetable things, he gets planty of attention but he still chews, man hes like big furry tot with sharp tetth i dont want to get rid of him but it is really annoying

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
dragonfly24
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:46 AM

its probably a mixture of boredom and back teeth. I trained my dogs by putting a chew bone on the floor and a kids toy or whatever and when they picked up the toy I would say no and give them the bone and praise them for chewing on their raw hide.  It doesn't totaly solve the problem but it helps. I also crate when I can't keep my eyes on them and excerize them regularly. Also if you give them stuffed animals to play with your just confusing them. they don't know the difference between your kids stuff and theirs.

TIA(31)  DH(38) T-MAN (10) T-BONE (5) LAYLA BUG 08-25-2008!!!!

ddparalegal
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:50 AM

It sounds like he has too much energy that is not being alleviated. Do you walk him? having a big yard and just turning him loose to play out there doesn't count because there is no discipline to tire him. If you walk him, and you make him heel and not sniff around all over and let him go where he wants or drag you... that is both physically and mentally challenging to him and you'll find you have better results and he'll spend some of that pent up energy he has. Good luck with him, and for goodness sake keep him away from the Christmas tree and presents! LOL

Happy Holidays!

DeeDee

holding ornaments

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)