Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question for those who have/had an IUD...

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:14 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm going in this friday afternoon to get the copper IUD inserted. I was just wondering what to expect during the procedure. I've read up on it but there seems to be many different explanations. What exactly is the whole procedure? My main question is: does it hurt a lot?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hotrodlassie
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Yes, it hurts some but the worse part was that I still got knocked up. My IUD baby is now 5!!!

raegansmom
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM

I don't have a copper IUD, but I have Mirena.  It did not hurt very much being put in but I had period like cramps for a few days after.  Nothing some Advil didn't fix.

dragonfly24
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Ive had two, both copper and neither hurt. Its like a pap and you will bleed a little. Expect heavier periods and more cramping than usual. Relax with it and it won't hurt. My second was put in last part of october 6 weeks after my daughter was born. I love it I don't have to remember to take a pill, get fat and go nutso with that damn shot, or deal with hormones.

TIA(31)  DH(38) T-MAN (10) T-BONE (5) LAYLA BUG 08-25-2008!!!!

dragonfly24
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:20 PM

OMG don't scare me like that LOL

Quoting hotrodlassie:

Yes, it hurts some but the worse part was that I still got knocked up. My IUD baby is now 5!!!

TIA(31)  DH(38) T-MAN (10) T-BONE (5) LAYLA BUG 08-25-2008!!!!

ms-vero
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I had Mirena inserted and it wasn't bad.  Just cramping afterwards.  Make sure to take some motrin before you go.

Amberwavessss
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I had a  copper IUD.  First they use the little tool that holds your vagina open, Then you get a shot int he cervix, then they reach on with a tool that dialates your cervix.  (That can be uncomfortable.)  Then they insert the IUD, remove the sleeve so the sides of the T pop out, and then the doc takes the tools out.  It's quick.

I had some bleeding afterward, a couple days I think.  I had sporadic pain and bleeding after sex.  Even farting hurt, it must've been in the wrong position but the doc did an ultrasound and said it was in right...  After a year I had it removed.

kaitlynsmommy31
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:25 PM

I have the Mirena. I didn't think it hurt. Just make sure to relax. You might have cramping for a few days. ( I got lucky and didn't but its a possible side effect). I also bled for what seems like forever. Probably 6 weeks or so. Good luck.

marina069
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:26 PM

i had a copper one after my first dd was born, yes it hurt like hell to have it put in, i don't know if it was the dr or what, i had that taken out a few years later to get pregnant again, after my second dd was born i had a Mirena put in, that hardly hurt at all, just a little pinch, don't know why they were so different but good luck, take some Tylenol or Advil

Lauri, mommy to 2 princesses

harvgal04
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I just got the mirena like 2 weeks ago and everyone told me it was going to hurt and i 'd cramp, which it didnt hurt and id idnt cramp...but im STILL spotting so that sucks but its not heavy at all

mommyto3bees
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:29 PM

IT DID FOR ME!!! major major major excruciating pain. and everyone told me oh it dosent hurt just pressure was not painful at all

usually they wait till you get your first period and with women whove just had vaginal births its easier

but i just had a section not to long before.. so thats why it hurts so bnad i think plus i think she just wanted to hurt me lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)