Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM vs WM...us vs them??? Why?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:33 PM
  • 43 Replies

There has been quite a debate going on in a few posts in the past 12-15 hours regarding whether or not a SAHM should be paid for doing so. I tried to respond to one of the posts by typing the most eloquent and diplomatic response but while I was typing the post got locked so I thought I would post my thoughts on this in it's very own post. So there..lol!!!

It saddens me that a simple question like this brings out the claws. I have been a SAHM most of the time I have been raising children. There have been times, though, for whatever reason that I had worked outside of the home. Either way it didn't change the kind of parent I am. It is hard work being a parent...period. Most of the time when a parent makes the decision that they will work or stay home, it is out of some sort of necessity. There are those who choose one way or the other, but who cares??? As long as their children are well taken care of. Are we not all working towards the same goal? I just want to raise them to be happy, healthy, well-adjusted adults. My guess is that is what we all want.

For the record, I, as a SAHM, do not think I should be paid in the form of a salary to care for my children. I would like to recieve some sort of a tax credit like working parents do for their child care, but I truly don't care either way. In the end it would not factor in to any decisions we make about my working outside the home or not.

I think it's much easier to support each other than to hate on each other for pitty's sake!!!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a_l_daigle
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:35 PM

This is a good post. It has valid points to it, its not critizing anyone, its your honest opinion and outlook with valid points to back it up.  ITs not childish or anything.  Koodos to you...

jaycee1124
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Why? Because they are evil and we rock! smile

MamaCeleste0722
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I never have understood the debate, myself. I'm a SAHM but I have much respect for moms who work out of the home. I, too, have done both. Both have their own challenges.

awmw06
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:39 PM

what? anyways, good post...I agree. It's hard to be either one. both of them is hard work...

Quoting jaycee1124:

Why? Because they are evil and we rock! smile

sryle
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:42 PM

I AGREE! CM has gotten so dramatic... debating staying home vs working? UGH... someone does something different from the "perfect parents" and it's a crime...

And I agree with you on the tax credit thing... that's really a valid idea!

IsaiahsMommy515
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Very well put.  I'm a stay at home mom, but looking for a fulltime job for financial reasons.  I respect both choices.  You can be a good mom or a bad mom whether you work or not.  I admit I do get into the debates because I feel that society looks down on SAHMs and I think thats sad and crazy!!

stephtill
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:44 PM

THIS IS SPARTAAAAA!

(Gawd, I hope someone get's that joke)

billysmami

I definately missed all the posts, but this is not the first time these kind of posts are placed here. 

I agree with you, I AM a full time working mommy, my son has attended daycare since he was 7 months old and now private school.  I work because I hate to see my husband working all the time and spending very little time with his son...and lets' admit it, because of money!!

I would love to stay home BUT #1I think i would go crazy after a few months, #2 I love the fact that my hubby and I are working really hard towards our early retirement....

We, like all parents, work hard and try to do the best that we can for our children. 

SAHM work as hard as We working moms do, work the same amount of hours..... our shift doesn't end until they children are in bed, and our shift starts bright and early when they wake up, I don't understand why argue who works harder or longer hrs....

JT2005

Well said mama! I worked in a daycare since my kids were little. I got so burnt out on having kids that weren't mine and stressing so much at home that it was affecting everyone.  Hubby and I decided I would stay home in April. I keep my friends child to make a little extra but I am extrely happy to be home with them. I missed so much when they were in daycare and I was in the same building! I don't think we should get paid for what is our choice to stay at home.

Schleetle
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Both are great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)