Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents that tell their kids santa is not real..

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:36 PM
  • 4 Replies

I think I finally understand why some people do that - and I feel ignorant for not even thinking of this scenario before.  I was reading postsecret this week and there was a few secrets from parents talking about this subject.  And basically, some parents feel compelled to tell their children santa is not real because- it is a reality that no gifts will be under the tree on christmas morning.  And to see those kids eyes on christmas morning with no gifts from santa and all they think is what did I do that santa doesn't love me enough to bring me presents like everyone else - well try explaining that one.  I think if god forbid I was in that desperate of a situation, I would want to tell my kids that mommy and daddy are santa and be mad at us- or maybe they would understand a lot more and not take it personal or think it has anything to do with them - there simply is just no money.   Does that make sense?  After reading that I changed my thinking a little bit.  I can totally understand telling your kids there is no santa if your in that situation - some people can't get adopted for christmas or anything and reality is that so many kids will wake up with nothing on christmas morning.  I remember one year we got oranges in our stockings and one pair of thermal socks under the tree (which we gave my dad for his birthday the october before christmas).  My point is to pass along a little bit of understanding. I know there has been posts about this topic going around.. thanks for reading. 

Justine,  Mother to Irish twins Dylan & Michael

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mum2Alex
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:39 PM

we dont do the 'santa' thing, the kids know that we give them their presents, thankfully, our kids are more into adopting a family to bring presents to (they like to play Santa), or inviting some of their friends over who might not have a full family for Christmas dinner (we do it on Christmas eve) and doing the 'whos the real santa' funny play thing that they put together each year.

i think teaching a child what 'santa' should mean (giving to others type thing) is more rewarding and i dont think it has to do with 'Santa not loving them' they just know that some kids believe Santa is a real person, they believe more in the meaning of Santa and the holidays.

i like that much better.

hailiesmom515
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:40 PM

My mom told me one year that santa had the flu so he wasn't coming this year. I didn't mind, but i get why the tell them that too. when i was 11 i knew santa wasn't real but my mom had never came straight out and said it before. well we had no money and my mom said we were going to tell my sister that santa could not find us that year because we had moved. we were always fine with whatever we did or did not get, but then my mom taugh us to be that way

kctnelms
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Well i just had this conversation with my husband last night because my children are 12 and 8 almost 9 and my son told me the other night, i know you and daddy are santa but i won't tell Taylor my daughter, and it got me thinking that this year or actually the last few months have been hard on us, we got out of the military and moved from florida back to georgia with about 3 weeks notice and i had to leave my job and all my friends and now i am not working and can't find work right now and we had to come up with money for our new house and well we just don't have alot of money to spend this year on Christmas, but my children will not go without, it may not be much but they get so much through out the year anyways they don't really "need" anything, so last night i told my DH that i might just go ahead and tell my daughter so she will understand why she does not have exactly what she asked for and like you said i don't want her thinking she did something to not get what she wanted, my 12 yr old is so understanding and he understands that we don't have the money this year and i hate it but what c an you do you know! So i will prob be telling my daughter soon too. But thanks for the post it is all exactly what i have been trying to figure out!

complextrina
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:43 PM

I liked my SIL's rationale actually. I know that there ARE some people out there who forget what christmas is ACTUALLY about...and they dispute it like "in God we trust on money" but as my SIL said "CHRISTMAS IS ABOUT JESUS, NOT SOME FICTIONAL FAT WHITE MAN BRINGING YOU PRESENTS.' How true. For those people who want to say keep religion out of it blah blah blah, its not a holiday based on commercialization, so go blow in the wind somewhere.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)