Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is what Cafemom posts are made of!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM
  • 11 Replies

I'm going to roll about 4 posts into one. Last night we took our girls to the Lake Farm Park's Country Lights thing. You can ride in a tractor to look at lights, make your own toy in "Santa's workshop" and get your picture taken with Santa. Lot's of fun, the kids had a blast. Anyway, as we were leaving the place we were putting on coats, hats and mittens. There was a family (mom, dad, Grandma and toddler, maybe 2 1/2-3 years old)next to us, doing the same. Well, their toddler wouldn't put on her hat and Grandma points to my kids and so lovingly says "They put on their hats! What the hell is wrong with you?" Toddler sticks out her tongue. Mom and Dad laugh. Now we are walking out, they're in front of us. AS SOON as mom hits the door she lights one up, so does Grandma. I don't care if you smoke, but show a little respect for the other children around you. It's a kids' event after all. I personally think smoking should be banned where children are present, but that's JMO. Anyway, we get to the parking lot, John picks up Maddie to walk to the car and the dad to the other toddler says "You have to hold my hand or I'm going to pick you up." She says "No!" he says , ok, then runs off through the parking lot yelling and laughing "You can't catch me!" and toddler runs after him. WTF Dude, you've got at least 130 pounds on the kid PICK HER UP. Who lets their toddler run in a crowded parking lot?  Then when we finally get to the car, joy, they're parked next to us. I'm putting Kate in her seat and John has started the car. Mom starts laughing and making comments about how our kids obviously have control. Want to know why? We have a cd playing with kids songs on it. Yeah, soooo controlling. Anyway, I see the kid get in the car and sit on Grandma's lap. I figured it was just until mom was done smoking. Nope. They drive off. With the kid sitting on a lap. Not even a booster seat. A lap.  I couldn't believe it. Call me nosy, call me judgmental, call me whatever but W T F. Is it really that hard to buckle your kid up??? I hope everyone made it home safely, as it was snowing pretty bad last night.

On a funny note, since we were at a farm, they have a hallway marked "Dairy Processing" and some milk signs. I just happened to notice that seated on a bench underneath a milk sign was a mama nursing her baby. Kind of made me giggle.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:46 PM

gotta love people like that. The only childern in control are theres since they let them do whatever they want to.

mommyslate
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Oh geez.  Have to bite my tongue when I see "those" families out.  I agree on the smoking ban at children events.  I doubt a 4 year old has the urge to light one up so banning it would only HELP the kids.

On the carseat note, I saw a infant carrier seat facing forward with a baby that could not have been more than 4 months old.  They were stopped at the light next to me and I wanted to hop out of my car and scream at them.  When they hit the gas I swear I saw the seat rock, like it may have not even been strapped in!?  Do people live on other planets where they don't hear the news on how UNSAFE that is? 

And grandma's lap?  Yeah I'm sure she has the strength to keep you from being ejected from the car, she's crash tested right?!?!  Some people.

MaddiesMaMa418
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Seriously. My kids may control the radio, but they sure as hell don't run across a parking lot at that age.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

gotta love people like that. The only childern in control are theres since they let them do whatever they want to.

okrasin
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:55 PM

This is one of those families where you just hope for the best and with everything they do wrong, you hope their child realizes it and changes how she/he raises their children.

As for the lady who left the comment about the 4 mos old in a forward facing position. I guess you would really have to ask them why they did that before you did actually start yelling at them. My oldest daughter got car sick. Everytime I took her anywhere she would start gagging and throwing up. I finally turned her seat forward and she never had that problem again. I did this for both of us so that I wouldn't have to constantly stop and pull over and take a chance of her choking to death before I could get to her. And I did this for her because I can't imagine she enjoyed car rides to much even at a young age. KWIM? Please don't think I am bashing you or anything, just explaining my situation

armywife_ldm
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:02 PM

yep, my little tiny 2 week old was in a forward facing seat her entire existence... she's 13 months old now. (STROKE out now mamas!) LMAO. she had very bad sleep apnea & stopped breathing on us ALL THE TIME. she was on a monitor for it foreverrr. and her doctor told us to forward face her seat. sometimes you need to deal with IMMEDIATE dangers, rather then potential ones. (like a wreck, etc.)

Quoting okrasin:

This is one of those families where you just hope for the best and with everything they do wrong, you hope their child realizes it and changes how she/he raises their children.

As for the lady who left the comment about the 4 mos old in a forward facing position. I guess you would really have to ask them why they did that before you did actually start yelling at them. My oldest daughter got car sick. Everytime I took her anywhere she would start gagging and throwing up. I finally turned her seat forward and she never had that problem again. I did this for both of us so that I wouldn't have to constantly stop and pull over and take a chance of her choking to death before I could get to her. And I did this for her because I can't imagine she enjoyed car rides to much even at a young age. KWIM? Please don't think I am bashing you or anything, just explaining my situation

armywife_ldm
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:05 PM

bump for you! =)

MaddiesMaMa418
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Thanks!

Quoting armywife_ldm:

bump for you! =)

dresmommary
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:16 PM

ohhh man People that smoke right by the doors sooo piss me off and I'm a smoker. (making up my mind to quit) i can't stand 2nd hand smoke. I know that sounds crazy coming from a smoker but oh well. I hate it.

MaddiesMaMa418
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Quoting dresmommary:

ohhh man People that smoke right by the doors sooo piss me off and I'm a smoker. (making up my mind to quit) i can't stand 2nd hand smoke. I know that sounds crazy coming from a smoker but oh well. I hate it.

I wouldn't call your comment crazy, just unexpected!

Kris77
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I really don't know how my sister and I made it to adulthood b/c

1.  My Mom AND Dad smoked, and the Grandparents, and all their friends

2.  There weren't even seatbelts in the backseats of our cars.  As a matter of fact, my BABY sister rode in a basket in the front seat until she was old enough to crawl out.

I understand your frustrations and concerns, but lighten up a little.  Seriously, think back on your childhood and see if your parents were this PC.  We SURVIVED.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)